Moderator Control Panel ]

Chrissie Maclennan

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Chrissie Maclennan

Postby pollymac » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi Rose
Great! So pleased it was the right one. Thanks for letting me know. Good luck looking for children!
pollymac

Postby pollymac » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi Rose
When looking for any children there is a chance that they may have been named after their grandparents, great grandparents or other relatives. There was a tradition of this in Scotland, although in my family it seems to have been less common in more recent years.
It might be worth comparing the names of the two sets of parents on the 1958 marriage certificate with the list of Mcdaid births in the Glasgow area. Also check the names of the witnesses to the marriage as they may be relatives and it is possible a child may have been named after them. I would check surnames as well as forenames as sometimes the mother, grandmother or great grandmother’s maiden name is used for a child’s middle name.
I’m not very confident of success but you never know!
pollymac

Postby RoseR » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks again pollymac, any help with Scottish records is most welcome as they differ from the English ones I’m familiar with. I’ll certainly bear your suggestions in mind although, like you, I’m not sure how successful it will be.

Rose.
RoseR

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi,Pollymac is absolutely correct with the naming of children.
I have three christian names,my given name and then my mothers maiden name,
followed by my grandmothers maiden name.Traditional scottish naming.
It seems peculiar but when trying to trace ancestors is actually a bonus as it
often helps to narrow down a candidate.
Good Luck.
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Previous

Return to General research queries