Moderator Control Panel ]

Epsom Workhouse

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Epsom Workhouse

Postby SarahDevs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone know if Epsom Workhouse records from 1907-1908 are available online?

As ever many thanks for all your shared knowledge!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SarahDevs

Re: Epsom Workhouse

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:50 pm

meekhcs

Postby SarahDevs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks meekhcs - I've found a few things out on there and didn't even think of looking for workhouse records!

SarahDevs

Postby SarahDevs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Found it - thanks again. This forum is marvellous!

SarahDevs

Postby SarahDevs » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:23 am

Back again. On the records there are what appear to be numbered admin and discharge references. Do you know if this is a national reference or peculiar to Epsom? I can't find any info on their pages

SarahDevs

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:58 pm

This is my guess -

There is a reference on the site to Book and Page - I think that is the ADM23 1122 type reference - Admission Book 23 for that collection, page 1122. I reckon that's pretty clear.

The remaining 5 digit number in brackets - hmm - it's probably an entry number to identify which entry on the page. What I have no idea about is whether that number appears on the original page, or whether it's been generated during the indexing process - because what you're seeing is a finished article in name order, whereas the indexers would have worked through each book in page ) entry order, so a sequence number could have been generated by the spreadsheet or whatever used during indexing. Probably doesn't matter if you want to see the images because you already know the volume and page.

What it won't be is a national reference because the various Poor Law Unions operated independently and it's difficult enough to organise numbering within one office - without a national computer network, it's fundamentally impossible to do it across the UK.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SarahDevs » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks AdrianB38 - just wondering if I can glean any more info from the admission codes. Will perhaps drop them an email to see if they can clarify for me

SarahDevs

Return to General research queries