Moderator Control Panel ]

Dad was fostered

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dad was fostered

Postby hicks1k » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:06 pm

My dad and his siblings were all fostered when they were young. I think I've traced his mum, his dad is marked on his wedding certificate as Fredrick Hicks deceased but I can't find any details anywhere. Any ideas or hints would be gratefully received
hicks1k

Re: Dad was fostered

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:02 pm

A few more details would be helpful :D
Have you got your dad’s birth certificate? If you think you know who his mother was, use this to find his birth on new GRO website, using her maiden name as a check.
If you can’t identify his registration, try looking for his siblings’ registration. This is one occasion where getting a certificate would be highly beneficial.
Mick Loney

Postby sdup26 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:42 pm

It's a good suggestion by Mick to try for your dad's birth certificate, but unfortunately, births on the GRO website only go up to 1918. If your dad born was born after that, try www.freebmd.org.uk which has births up to the 1980's, with mother's maiden surname given. And as Mick says, if you can't find your dad's name, try looking for one of his siblings.
sdup26

Postby hicks1k » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:55 am

Thank you both, I'll try that

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
hicks1k

Return to General research queries