Moderator Control Panel ]

Russian Spelling

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Russian Spelling

Postby Mark Jones » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 am

Hi there, I have just received a birth certificate of Hilda Levinsky.
It states the mother's name as Rebbecca Levinsky formerly RAMEONSKY.
As she signed with her mark I can't be 100% on the spelling of Rameonsky as it was probably written phonetically by the registrar. I know from census records after her marriage that she was from Russia.
Would anyone know what would be the probable original spelling of the name Rameonsky.
Thanks in advance

Stephen
Mark Jones

Re: Russian Spelling

Postby MoVidger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Could it be Ramonoski?
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Sep 1909 Mile End 1c 404
Levinsky, Hilda
mother's maiden surname Rameonsky

In Mile End in 1911, father Solomon, mother Becky.
From the census returns, potential siblings registered in various East London districts? Mother's name as transcribed in new GRO index.
March 1905, Annie, mother's maiden surname Komulsky
*June 1898, Julius, mother Kominsky
*Dec 1895, Hyman, mother Tomosky
Sep 1891, Katie, mother Veeder (!)

It's possible that Solomon might be in the 1891 census in Mile End, Solm. Levinski, a slipper maker, 22, born Russia, under his entry is a wife enumerated as Betsy. Household headed up by Morris Levinski, 27 (piece 300 folio 63 page 35)

*School records, father Solomon
Julius Levinsky, born 23 April 1898
Hyman Levinsky, born 25 Sep 1895
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 am

I think that you may need to be wary of interpreting "Russia" in a modern sense. Poland had been split between Prussia, Austria and Russia in 3 partitions, finishing with 1795 at which point there was no longer an independent state of Poland.

This link https://www.quora.com/Is-the-%E2%80%98-ski%E2%80%99-last-name-Polish-Russian-or-German suggests that the -ski or -sky ending is Slavic and could come from several "countries", including Poland. At the time you are talking about, it seems to me that someone from the eastern(?) part of what is now Poland would perhaps be more likely to describe themselves as being from Russia, simply because that was the power in control of their part of Poland - "Poland" in fact would be triply ambiguous as it wouldn't be clear whether you were talking about the Prussian, Austrian or Russian segments.

I have, note, no experience of trying to work out how such people described their origins in British censuses - it's just something that occurs to me that needs to be considered.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mark Jones » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:34 am

Hi there, thanks very much for your comprehensive reply.

I had found all that information during my research, however I am stumped at the fact of the children on the 1911 census having different mothers. Perhaps they were adopted, but Hilda's birth cert shows Soloman as the father. Plus it says children born a live 7, 5 living. Would adopted children be included in this?

I have found a Soloman Levinski who marrys a Rebecca but have yet to look into it as her maiden name was not the same as any of the children's mothers. I'll do that next. lol

Thanks again and any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers
Mark
Mark Jones

Postby Mark Jones » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks Adrian,
That's a very good point you make.
I am trying to find RAMEONSKY in other records and the correct spelling would help. lol
I'll try as many combinations as I can come up with.

Thanks again
Mark
Mark Jones

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Mark Jones wrote:Would adopted children be included in this?

Strictly speaking no. The question asks how many children were born in this marriage, and should only be completed by a married woman, so shouldn’t include adopted or step-children.

So for example, widows ( who are no longer married) should leave entry blank, but I’ve seen them fill this in, and have also seen people include children from previous marriages!
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries