Moderator Control Panel ]

The Mysterious Mr Hensby...

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

The Mysterious Mr Hensby...

Postby Cachalot6972 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:26 am

Morning All, I have a Suffolk conundrum and hopefully someone can help…

It involves my 3rd cousin once removed Annie Curtis (29/01/1884 -03/01/1964).
She is the daughter of James Butcher Curtis (1856-1932) and Sophia Childerstone (1850-1936), of Beck Row, Suffolk.
The conundrum being that she is buried in Beck Row, in the same grave as her brother James, under the name of Annie Hensby and I have yet to find any marriage for her.

In the 1911 census, she is a 27-year-old ‘Elementary School Mistress’. In 1920, Annie appears in the Teachers' Registration Council register with the surname Curtis but with an alternate surname of Hensby.
In the 1939 Register she’s invisible, there’s no Annie Curtis or Hensby, or any Hensby with a wife named Annie.
Annie is on https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk as a widow and she left £5526 to her brother James (about £110,000 today).
If anyone could tell me who the mysterious Mr Hensby is, it would be great to hear from you!
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Re: The Mysterious Mr Hensby...

Postby peter kent » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 am

If anyone could tell me who the mysterious Mr Hensby is, it would be great to hear from you!

Well, what does her death certificate say?

Normally we would expect the death certificate to describe her as "widow of ....". I would look on getting the death certificate as an essential first step in answering the question.
peter kent

Postby woodchal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 am

As a first step I would double check your information

I couldn't find the probate that says she was a widow. So is there a possibility is that she was not James' sister in the same grave but was she was actually his wife and that Hensby is her maiden name, which would explain the 1920 register entry.

Other researchers have James' sister Annie Curtis married off to someone else.

Don't trust others tree without your own research though
woodchal

Postby woodchal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 am

I missed the fact that she was buried as Hensby (whoops), but I have now seen the picture of the grave online now and the name is Annie Hensby.

It doesn't actually say it his sister though. So given the different name it probably isn't his wife, but the possibility of it not being a his married sister still exists.
woodchal

Postby ianbee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 am

Annie's father James Butcher Curtis died tragically in 1932. Among the many mourners at his funeral were Mr and Mrs W. Hensby (Bury Free Press, 5 November 1932). From the article, it looks like Mrs Hensby was a daughter.
Then mother Sophia died in 1936, and mourners at her funeral included Mr and Mrs Thomas Hensby, son in law and daughter (Bury Free Press, 15 February 1936)
So a slight riddle there.

Cachalot6972 wrote:In 1920, Annie appears in the Teachers' Registration Council register with the surname Curtis but with an alternate surname of Hensby.

It says Annie Hensby (nee Curtis)
Address Waratah, Holmsey Green, Beck Row, Ely

Schools were local.
ianbee

Postby Cachalot6972 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 am

peter kent
I haven’t yet ordered her death certificate because, in much the same way that I help other members of the online genealogical community where I can, I was hoping that someone may either know who ‘the mysterious Mr Hensby’ was, or could point me to somewhere I haven’t yet looked.
Also, because her death was after 1957, it will cost me £11 to find out one piece of info that may not even be on the certificate. And as a pensioner, it could be argued that that £11 could be spent on a need, rather than a want.
However, I’ve half come to the conclusion that Annie and Mr Hensby weren’t married but lived quite happily as man and wife until the end.
I’ll report back if and when I eventually find the answer...
Phil

Cachalot6972

Postby Cachalot6972 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:02 am

Thank you one and all for your replies and the problem is now solved! Annie married in Australia.
From the 'Ancestry in Suffolk & Cambridgeshire' Facebook page:
Name: Annie Curtis
Marriage Age: 38
Event Type: Marriage
Birth Date: abt 1884
Marriage Date: 11 Dec 1922
Marriage Place: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Parish as it Appears: Rose Bay St Paul
Father: James Butcher Curtis
Mother: Sophia Curtis
Spouse: William Hemsley

After her husband died on 03 May 1945, Annie returned to the UK:
Name: Annie Hensby
Arrival Age: 71
Birth Date: 29 Jan 1884
Port of Departure: Sydney, Australia
Arrival Date: 5 Aug 1955
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Sydney; Melbourne; Adealide; Fremantle; Colombo; Bombay; Aden; Port Sudan; Suez; Port Said and Marseilles
Ship Name: Strathnaver
Shipping Line: P and O Steam Navigation Company Ltd
Official Number: 8214/01

That would explain why Annie is buried with her brother.

Again, thanks everyone...
Phil

Cachalot6972

Postby ianbee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am

Cachalot6972 wrote:After her husband died on 03 May 1945, Annie returned to the UK

Who was at the funerals then?
Or perhaps they weren't really there? :o
ianbee

Postby HardWork » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Can't help directly with this at present but currently I'm coincidentally trying to help someone who has a close match to me re autosomal DNA. This match concerns an unknown male who is certainly from the HILLS or CHILDERSTONE families of Mildenhall, Suffolk who fathered a daughter. The daughter was born illegitimately in the local workhouse in the 1850s to a Susan NICHOLS. Susan had another illegitimate daughter, Sarah, who married a William HENSBY (born 1864) in Mildenhall. His father was a Thomas HENSBY.

Sophia CHILDERSTONE who married James Butcher CURTIS was the niece of my ancestor John CHILDERSTONE.

At present, the thinking is that the DNA link is through the HILLS family but I am seeking a CHILDERSTONE descendant in the male line to Y DNA test try to confirm this theory but maybe this new information suggests the HENSBY and CHILDERSTONEs are a linking factor rather than the HILLS family.

Annie's husband, also William, is very likely to have had links to the Mildenhall HENSBYs as the surname is found in the parish from at least the 18th century.
HardWork

Postby Cachalot6972 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 pm

HardWork

From his Australian service record, William’s place of birth is recorded as ‘Packenham, England.’
Packenham is part of Birmingham, but I suspect it should be Pakenham, just east of Bury St Edmunds. From the GRO, he could be HENSBY, WILLIAM [POTTER] GRO Reference: 1878 S Quarter in THINGOE Volume 04A Page 569. From the 1881 census, his parents would be William Alfred & Mary Frances nee Potter.

I thought it might have been HENSBY, WILLIAM [BUTCHER] GRO Reference: 1881 M Quarter in MILDENHALL Volume 04A Page 622.
But this William seems to be in the 1939 Register married to Florence Lily and living at Undley Road, Mildenhall R.D., Suffolk, date of birth 19 Jan 1881.
Phil

Cachalot6972

Next

Return to General research queries