Moderator Control Panel ]

Police service records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Police service records

Postby nuttree » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Hello, I wonder if you can suggest how I can sort out this problem please?

We have on our tree Frank Burry married to Elsie Louise Perrett and Albert Edward Gordon Burry married to Gertrude Perrett the brides are sisters. both grooms were Police Constables in Wiltshire. (they were not brothers)

I am trying to add newspaper reports to their profiles BUT the newspapers rarely distinguish them just referring to P. C. Burry.

I know Frank was the village policeman in Limpley Stoke in 1918-1822 but he joined the Force in 1908 where was he before 1918?

I know Albert E. G. was Living in Chilmark in 1911 and in Calne in 1932 and he became a publican in Calne by 1939.
Was he the PC living in Derry Hill from 1929? When did he join the Force and where did he serve?

To add to the confusion both played cricket for the Tisbury Police team one was a useful bowler but which one? Usuallythey played one at a time but this one they are together :
Wiltshire Times June 21 1913
Police Cricket
Trowbridge Division v. Tisbury Division
...Tisbury

P. C. A Burry c&b Ludlow 4 b Reeves 2
P. C. McMahon
P. C. Crouch
P. S. Light
P. S. Perrett
P. C. F. Burry not out 17 b Ludlow 18
P. C. White
Inspr. James
P. C. Watts
P. C. Sutton r
P. C. Hunt
Extras 2 Extras 8
Total 47 Total (5wkts) 72

Finally Albert Edward Gordon's son Roy S T Burry also became a Policeman I know he was in Swindon in 1932 when did he join the Force and where did he serve?

Please have you any ideas that will help sort them out?
nuttree

Re: Police service records

Postby junkers » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Any records should be in the Wiltshire Archives Centre, this entry from The National Archives catalogue might help

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... 74a673646d
junkers

Re: Police service records

Postby nuttree » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Many thanks for your advice
nuttree

Return to General research queries