Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree Maker 2011 - not properly closed error

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Family Tree Maker 2011 - not properly closed error

Postby AndyRobert » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:23 am

I'm still using FTM 2011 and never had a problem until yesterday. Evidently I exited the program improperly and got the error, above, which instructed me to compact the last opened file. Problem is, I can't reopen the program. I tried removing the last ftm file I had opened from the Family Tree Maker folder. Nothing. After removing all the ftm files from the folder, still no luck. I tried rebooting the PC (Windows 10). Nothing. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the program...twice. It still won't open. I get the same error. Is there some lock file or other file I need to delete? I mean, even after uninstalling the program and reinstalling, the program wouldn't open. I don't really want or need to upgrade to FTM 2017 for $80. There must be a work-around. Anybody? I'd really appreciate the help.
AndyRobert

Re: Family Tree Maker 2011 - not properly closed error

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 am

Not having used FTM for a while, I can’t answer your question fully, but I do think it does use a lock-file, presumably in same directory as FTM data file (I’ll test it on my laptop later and get back to you with definitive answer)

I found the trouble with FTM, is that it uses a proprietary database, which needs FTM to view. If, as in your case you lose FTM, you also lose access to all your data, backups as well!

A temporary solution is for you to find someone with FTM who could load your data file, and then export it as a gedcom. If you do get FTM back up and running, I suggest you make regular exports of your data into Gedom files, as part of your backup regime.

When Ancestry stopped support for FTM and handed it over to Micalev ( or whatever their name is), that sealed it for me and I moved to Family Historian (FH), and haven’t regretted it.( IMHO a far superior product and a lot cheaper than upgrading FTM), and as FH stores its data in a standard Gedcom file, even if FH crashed, you’d still have access to your data via any genealogy program, as most can read gedcom files.
Mick Loney

Re: Family Tree Maker 2011 - not properly closed error

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:55 am

I copied one of my FTM files and called it Fred.ftm.(size 68Mb)
I started FTM(2012) and opened Fred.ftm
When I closed FTM, it created Fred_Autobackup.ftmb (size 26Mb)

When I re-opened FTM none of the Fred files changed size
But when I shut FTM, Fred_Autobackup.ftmb shrunk to size 0 then back to 26Mb, presumably whilst backup was taking place.
I then deleted Fred_Autobackup.ftmb , and re-opened FTM, which opened normally, and when I shut it, it re-created Fred_Autobackup.ftmb

I didn't see any sign of a lock file, but that's not to say there isn't one somewhere!

PS If you want to message me, I'd happily convert your FTM file to a gedcom file
Mick Loney

Return to Genealogy chat