Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Bowdler, 1873 - ??

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mary Bowdler, 1873 - ??

Postby ianbee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Just to say that James Walter Harris may have been born in Cinderford! Or somewhere nearby.
Going on the details we have, including the Derbyshire newspaper article about J W Harris, he seems to be in Hasland, Chesterfield in 1901 with his mum and sister (piece 3246 folio 102 page 19)
And back in 1881 those three plus James the head are in Cinderford.
So, more too it perhaps!
Ian

P.S. Good luck with the marriage certificate!
ianbee

Re: Mary Bowdler, 1873 - ??

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Bingo - super-sleuth ianbee does it again!

I've just received the marriage certificate for Mary Bowdler and James Walter Harris and everything has slotted into place. Mary is shown as aged 42 which tallies with her birth. Her father is shown as George Godwin Bowdler, gamekeeper. The witnesses are Thomas and Florence Knight - Florence was Mary's sister. The icing on the cake is that Mary was living with Florence at the time of the marriage, and the address was given as 2 Tibberton Villas, St. Guthrie Street Hereford. This is the same address as I have for Florence from a completely different source in my research, the Minutes of the Board of Guardians of Westbury Workhouse. She took my granddad in when my great-grandmother could no longer look after her children. Other siblings went to a children's home. Finally, James is shown as a resident of Hasland, Derbyshire, which matches what ianbee uncovered.

Many thanks once again!
JaneyH
JaneyH

Previous

Return to General research queries