Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Bowdler, 1873 - ??

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Mary Bowdler, 1873 - ??

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:52 pm

I'm looking for help in researching my 2x great aunt, Mary (Molly) Bowdler.

Her birth certificate shows she was born on 21 November 1873 in Sutton (a small hamlet), Newnham district, Westbury-on-Severn RD in Gloucestershire, although the birth was registered in January 1874. She was baptised in the parish church in Littledean in December 1873.

In the 1881 Census she was living with her parents George & Sarah Bowdler in Flaxley (piece 2524, folio 124, page 45). In 1891 (aged 17) she was living in Woodside Road, Cinderford as housekeeper to her maternal uncles, James and Hubert Edwards (piece 2006, folio 81, page 13).

I think I've located her in 1901, listed as a servant (unmarried, aged 27) in the household of George Holloway across the Severn at Uplands, Painswick (piece 2436, folio 29, page 50). Slightly more speculatively, 1911 finds her in Paddington in London. If I have the correct record she's aged 37, still unmarried, and working as a sick nurse in the household of Alice Yolland, an elderly lady of independent means (RG14 PN49 RG78 PN2 RD1 SD2 ED9 SN403 on FMP). The transcription says Little Dean Thos but this should presumably be Glos for Gloucestershire.

After this I lose track of her. I don't know if she ever married and I don't know when or where she died. My mother (born 1943) visited an aunt Molly as a young child, which I'm pretty sure was Mary. There must have been a special affection between my grandfather and his aunt as my Mum is named Molly, presumably after this ancestor. Very recently I've got in contact with a new cousin on this side of the family (a few years younger than my Mum) who also recalls visiting an aunt Molly as a small child. This would suggest that Mary/Molly was still alive in the early 1950s.

Despite lots of searching on both FMP and Ancestry I've been unable to locate her in the 1939 Register, whether using her specific dob or in more open searches. Any suggestions as to her whereabouts after 1911 would be much appreciated. Her birth certificate contains no middle name. The extended family all lived in and around Cinderford at this time which is where I would have expected to have found her.

Many thanks, Janey

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Re: Mary Bowdler, 1873 - ??

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi,think you will have more success by posting on general queries.
Good luck
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Re: Mary Bowdler, 1873 - ??

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks Grace. Technical error somewhere along the line! Now re-posted on general queries. Please reply there rather than here. Apologies for issues using mobile app rather than proper website!
JaneyH

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat