Moderator Control Panel ]

The (stubborn) mystery of Jane Richardson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

The (stubborn) mystery of Jane Richardson

Postby leohickman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to find out more about my 3x-great-grandmother, Jane RICHARDSON (I suspect nee CONWAY, but not 100% sure).

This is the only information I have about her...

She had two daughters, Jeanette Conway RICHARDSON (1848-1890) and Alice RICHARDSON (1851-1885). They possibly had different fathers, although I'm not sure.

The census returns of 1851 and 1861 show them living in Paddington and then Hampstead, each time without a father/male. They suggest a birth year for the mother Jane as 1817 and that her birthplace was "Bloomsbury, Middlesex". The 1851 census describes Jane as a "widow", whereas the 1861 census describes her as "un", I think, which I assume to mean "unmarried"?

1851 Census - Class: HO107; Piece: 1466; Folio: 342; Page: 39; GSU roll: 87787
1861 Census - Class: RG 9; Piece: 91; Folio: 77; Page: 5; GSU roll: 542572

The birth cert and (first) baptism cert for Jeanette say her father was "Henry Richardson", a printer at 7 Porter Street. (Jeanette's later marriage cert says "name not given" under father.)

But after Alice is born three years later, both girls are baptised together. No father is listed and their mother Jane is described as a "spinster".

And that's all the information I have. I can't find a birth, baptism, marriage or death certificate for Jane.

It seems very possible due to the sometimes conflicting marriage status that Jane was possibly trying to hide that she had her daughters out of wedlock and possibly with different fathers? I can't find any marriage record of a Jane Conway to a Henry Richardson, for example. Does Henry even exist? Perhaps he was a fabrication?

And why did Jeanette get baptised twice? Was that normal? They both seem to be CoE churches.

The daughters married soldiers and lived and had children in India. I can't find Jane (minus her daughters) in the 1871 and beyond censuses, assuming she was still alive.

However, possibly a major clue is that in the 1861 census Jane ("visitor") and her two daughters are living in Hampstead ("Peterborough Lodge", 55 Finchley New Road) with someone called Maria Trinder.

I have accessed Maria Trinder's will from her death in 1868 and it shows that she left £5,000 each to Jeanette and Alice who are described as her "adopted children". This heavily implies that the mother Jane died sometime between the 1861 census and 1868 (the will seems to have been written in early 1868). But even with this tight window of 1861-68, I can't seem to find a death cert for Jane. (Or maybe she was institutionalised due to ill-health, or remarried? I can't think of other scenarios whereby Maria Trinder would have adopted the two sisters?)

Any help at all with this would be much appreciated as Jane Richardson is turning into a very stubborn brick wall in my family tree.

Many thanks in advance.
leohickman

Re: The (stubborn) mystery of Jane Richardson

Postby MoVidger » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:09 pm

Jeanette being baptised twice could simply be the result of her family moving to another location and joining a new congregation. During Alice's baptism, perhaps their mother decided to have Jeanette baptised again. Sort of a "two-for-the-price-of-one".
MoVidger

Postby leohickman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:13 pm

MoVidger wrote:Jeanette being baptised twice could simply be the result of her family moving to another location and joining a new congregation. During Alice's baptism, perhaps their mother decided to have Jeanette baptised again. Sort of a "two-for-the-price-of-one".

Thanks, MoVidger. I hadn't thought of that. I didn't realise people did this when they moved to a new parish.
leohickman

Postby meekhcs » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 pm

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think that if Henry Richardson was recorded on Jeanette's Birth certificate then he would have been present at the registration and acknowledged that he was the Father. This doesn't mean that a marriage had or would take place between Henry and Jane. (EDITED) Even if he was her Father he may have had nothing to do with her upbringing and therefore she did not wish to include him on her marriage certificate.
meekhcs

Postby leohickman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 pm

meekhcs wrote:I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think that if Henry Richardson was recorded on Jeanette's Birth certificate then he would have been present at the registration and acknowledged that he was the Father. This doesn't mean that a marriage had or would take place between Henry and Jane. (EDITED) Even if he was her Father he may have had nothing to do with her upbringing and therefore she did not wish to include him on her marriage certificate.

Thank you, Meekhcs.

Here is Jeanette's birth cert. (I've never been able to find one for Alice born in 1851.) You will see that Jane, the mother, is listed as the informant.

Jeannette Richardson Birth Cert.jpg
Jeannette Richardson Birth Cert.jpg (531.02 KiB) Viewed 824 times
leohickman

Postby MayHam » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:09 pm

There is a "Jannett Conway Richardson," daughter of Ms. Conway, registered July Quarter 1848 in Strand, volume 1, page 388 according to the GRO. Can't find anything for Alice.

It's a long shot but there was a Henry Richardson, born about 1801/1803 in Bloomsbury, Middlesex (same as Jane Conway). He was a visitor in Westminster St. James in 1851 and Westminster St. Margaret in 1861 with the same housekeeper and cook. Can't find him in 1871 other than there was a Henry Richardson who died in the September Quarter of 1871, age 67, in Westminster, volume 01A, page 322, according to the GRO.
MayHam

Postby leohickman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am

I have a possible lead for a Jane Conway in the 1841 census.

There is a Jane Conway, aged 20, living with Mary Conway, aged 40, on East St (now Chiltern St) in Marylebone. (Bearing in mind that the 1841 census rounds down ages to the nearest 5 years.)

Census ref - Class: HO107; Piece: 680; Book: 6; Civil Parish: St Marylebone; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 11; Page: 17; Line: 4; GSU roll: 438796

However, it says neither of them were born in the county of Middlesex, which would contradict Jane Richardson's entry in the 1861 census, which says "Bloomsbury, Middlesex". Maybe Mary (presumably the mother) wasn't born in Middlesex and that fact was assumed for both? Should I 100% ignore this possible lead simply because of this contradictory info about where Jane was born, or where mistakes like this possible?

Additionally, there is a 22-year-old Mary Conway being discharged from the St Martin-In-The-Fields workhouse on 12 January 1814, with an unnamed nine-day-old baby. (Found via FMP - "Westminster, Poor Law And Parish Administration".)

The GRO has a death cert for a 44-year-old Mary Conway in 1844 in Marylebone, which could be the mother. (GRO Reference: 1843 M Quarter in MARYLEBONE Volume 01 Page 211)

Other than ordering this 1844 death cert, can anyone think of any other ways to establish whether this might the Jane Conway/Richardson I'm looking for?
leohickman

Postby leohickman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 pm

I have now received the death cert from 1843 of Mary Conway showing she died at the St Marylebone Workhouse of "dropsy" on 12th March, aged 44...

Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 20.28.59.png
Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 20.28.59.png (218.7 KiB) Viewed 551 times

The dates and location strongly suggest this is the same Mary Conway in the 1841 census living with Jane Conway. But, sadly, I don't think this really helps to further clarify whether this is the Jane Conway I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions? Tips (very) gratefully received.

(Also, what do people tend to do with "dead-end" certs such as this that might not be the person they are looking for but might be a bullseye for someone else and hence save them spending £7 with the GRO?)
leohickman

Postby JaneyH » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:54 am

With regards to your “dead-end” certificate, I suggest you search for the entry on the FreeBMD website and click on “add postem”. You can then add the details from the certificate as a note field. Then, anyone searching will be able to benefit from your £7.

Also, you can add it to the section of this forum entitled “unwanted certificates” ... but do FreeBMD first. I see it as a little way of paying back into the genealogical community: I may not be able to repay directly the people who help me, but I can hopefully help others.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby avaline » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 pm

I'm not sure that death certificate is the same Mary Conway from 1841.

There is a St Marylebone workhouse infirmary admission for Mary Conway on 1 Aug 1842. It gives an address but I can’t make it out – possibly 25 Stephen St?. Under ‘Settlement’ it says Irish. Date of Discharge given as 11 March 1843, aged 43, Reason: Died.

Immediately above her are two children: Mary Ann aged 7 & Ellen aged 4 ‘Mother in Infirmary’. It looks like they were sent to Sydney on 15 Feb 1849

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/ ... 3070-00029

At image 32 a David Conway aged 12 is then admitted on 12 Oct 1842, with the note ‘mother in infirmary’. His settlement is also noted as Irish. Discharged 6 May 1843 ‘to sea’ (image 32)

In 1841 there is a Mary Conway aged 40 born Ireland living at Nelsons Passage, St Marylebone with three children: David, aged 10, Mary aged 5 & Eleanor aged 3.

I therefore suspect that the death certificate you have is, in fact, this Mary Conway.
avaline

Next

Return to General research queries