Moderator Control Panel ]

The (stubborn) mystery of Jane Richardson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: The (stubborn) mystery of Jane Richardson

Postby leohickman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:45 am

avaline wrote:I'm not sure that death certificate is the same Mary Conway from 1841.

There is a St Marylebone workhouse infirmary admission for Mary Conway on 1 Aug 1842. It gives an address but I can’t make it out – possibly 25 Stephen St?. Under ‘Settlement’ it says Irish. Date of Discharge given as 11 March 1843, aged 43, Reason: Died.

Immediately above her are two children: Mary Ann aged 7 & Ellen aged 4 ‘Mother in Infirmary’. It looks like they were sent to Sydney on 15 Feb 1849

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/ ... 3070-00029

At image 32 a David Conway aged 12 is then admitted on 12 Oct 1842, with the note ‘mother in infirmary’. His settlement is also noted as Irish. Discharged 6 May 1843 ‘to sea’ (image 32)

In 1841 there is a Mary Conway aged 40 born Ireland living at Nelsons Passage, St Marylebone with three children: David, aged 10, Mary aged 5 & Eleanor aged 3.

I therefore suspect that the death certificate you have is, in fact, this Mary Conway.

Many thanks for your detective work, Avaline. Yes, that looks very compelling! Back to square one, sadly...
leohickman

Previous

Return to General research queries