Moderator Control Panel ]

Edward McKenzie and brothers Kirkcudbright

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Edward McKenzie and brothers Kirkcudbright

Postby RogerandRosalie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:41 pm

My great great grandfather Kenneth McKenzie was born in Kircudbright about 1806. His parents wee Hugh and Bridget (Erskine/Arskine). There are records for his siblings, Hugh, William, John and Culbert (Probably Cuthbert). The family moved to New Brunswick in the 1820's and then sailed to Australia in 1840 on their own ship the 'Brothers'. One of the brothers was Edward who became a master mariner and sailed from Australia to Mauritius , various coastal runs in Australian waters and eventually went to California in 1849. He died there in 1854 and from his age I deduce his birth at about 1813. I can't find his birth anywhere in Scotland. There's a possibility he could have been born in Ireland as his mother Bridget came from there I think. His father Hugh was also a mariner ( but also involved in farming - he was a 'tenant' in Glentoo on one of his children's birth records) so perhaps he could have been born on a ship although that seems unlikely.
Where to look for Edward's birth or just assume it was unreported or the records lost?
Last edited by RogerandRosalie on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerandRosalie

Re: Edward McKenzie and brothers Kirrkudbright

Postby junkers » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:57 pm

Firstly, you will not find a birth certificate in Scotland (they didn't start until 1855) but a baptism record where they exist. Scotland's People (SP) is the best place to look if you haven't already. SP have in the main only the records of the Established Church of Scotland and some Catholic church records. I would check for his parents' marriage and if he was born before they were married then the Kirk Sessions records which cover issues of 'misdemeanours' (as they saw it) like children born out of wedlock.

Incidentally the area is spelt as Kirkcudbright, many people mis-spell it.
junkers

Re: Edward McKenzie and brothers Kirrkudbright

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi,the birth is on scotlands people church registers.Kenneth on
8th August 1806 to Hugh McKenzie and Bridget Erskine.
Grace :D
Amazinggrace

Re: Edward McKenzie and brothers Kirkcudbright

Postby RogerandRosalie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:14 am

Thankyou to both respondents. I realise I made a typo with the spelling of Kirkcudbright!
I have the baptismal records for Kenneth and other siblings, but not Edward, born about 1813.
I have a similar problem for another 2xgreat grandfather, born about 1818 in Aberdeenshire or Banffshire. His name was Alexander Allan and he had several siblings, all the others are recorded. There is a gap where he would fit, and other clues to to tie him to the family (parents were James Allan & Janet Smith)
RogerandRosalie

Re: Edward McKenzie and brothers Kirkcudbright

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi,there is a Alexander Allan listed on family search.
Alexander Allan
born 4th July 1818
ch 19th July 1818
Associate Congregation
Strathaven,Lanark
father,James Allan.

Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries