Moderator Control Panel ]

Searching for Blanco’s

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Searching for Blanco’s

Postby wallydoginoz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Hello I am new to this site but not to research- I started nearly 18 years ago! I have come across many brick walls- some that are still firmly in place!!
Brick wall 1 - Looking for grave records searched most sites online to no avail. Suggestions for websites for Leicester, Sheffield, London and Pau, France!
Brick wall 2 - looking for ancestors in the Philippine Islands 1838 and before. Searched ‘family search’ Can’t find any birth certificates.
Brick wall 3 - legend has it my Spanish ancestors owned land (Olive Groves) in Seville- I have found no records of this.
Brick wall 4 - My 3x great uncle Pedro Blanco died 1888 in Pau, France but I can’t find how he died or what he was doing there. His wife Martha was back on UK census in 1891 as a widow. Also on their marriage certificate Pedro is a ‘widower’ - can’t find a previous marriage for him.
Brick wall 5 - My 2 x great grandmother (real name Emma) Emmeline Blanco ( née Squibb) was allegedly a showgirl in the UK and husband Emilio Blanco was either a Theatrical agent (1879 in Bath), stage manager (1877 in Leeds) or musician (1881 Bristol) during these periods. I have looked on various websites such as The Stage etc.
Oh I wish I could afford to hire a genealogist to do this or become famous so I can travel to all the relevant places because not everything is online:(
Even harder now I am in Australia.
So I would love at least one of these walls smashed down please- any help gratefully received.
Love the show- I am a little obsessed!!
wallydoginoz

Re: Searching for Blanco’s

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Have you tried Ancestry? This record set may be of help: Philippines, Select Births and Baptisms, 1642-1994. but you may need a Worldwide subscription.

You'll probably struggle to learn the cause of death for Pedro Blanco, as noted in a similar post of yours on a different forum. https://www.british-genealogy.com/threa ... ists/page2

With Pedro's first marriage, have you considered the possibility he didn't marry in the UK? I gather he was originally from the Phillipines -- have you checked marriage records for him there?

Ancestry also has: Philippines, Select Marriages, 1723-1957

A little confused with your Emmeline Blanco brickwall. Are you just trying to confirm she was a showgirl? Try checking http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ for any mention of her, as well.
MoVidger

Postby sdup26 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:08 pm

I tried newspaper archives for mentions of Emilio/Emmeline, but there seems to be just one, in the Leicester Chronicle 17/10/1891:
"Emilio Blanco, shoe hand, was summoned for removing his goods to the value of £2, with a view to defrauding his landlord on Sept 26th. Defendant's wife denied they had any desire to defraud the landlord. They were willing to pay the rent of £3.1s if time was allowed. An order was made for double the value of the goods, suspended for a week, and in default, a month's imprisonment."
sdup26

Postby wallydoginoz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:04 am

Thank you for your replies- unfortunately I have checked ( online only) for all this information. I didn’t know however that you needed a Worldwide subscription to access World records although I do access Ancestry through the library for free. I will have to check what level of access they have. Yes I did presume that Pedro’s first marriage was elsewhere still investigating this one too!
Another mystery which seems to be staying buried is that there seems to be no birth certificate for Francisco Blanco born 1876 Dalston London- mother: Emmeline Squibb and Father Emilio Blanco. I have also searched the newspaper archives and found the same search. I may try and contact any old theatres as Emilio Blanco states he was a Theatrical agent between 1878-88 Bath/Leicester with musician thrown in Bristol 1881 and before that 1877-78 stage manager in Leeds.
Thanks for all your feedback- I will still keep looking. Cheers:)
wallydoginoz

Postby wallydoginoz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:07 am

Emilio married Emmeline in 1875 Liverpool so probably met through the theatre maybe??
In later years he went into the shoe industry as a clicker in Leicester- so would like to know more about this.
Cheers
wallydoginoz

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:32 am

Some of us have Ancestry Worldwide subs, so if you indicate Pedro's birth year, parent's names, and possible place of birth in the Philippines (along with any other helpful details), we could search the Ancestry record sets on your behalf.
MoVidger

Postby wallydoginoz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks so much that would be great.
So the information I have is Pedro Blanco born approximately 1838 father Santiago Blanco born Manila Philippines.
wallydoginoz

Postby sdup26 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:33 pm

A boot (or shoe) clicker cut the uppers for boots/shoes from leather.
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:21 pm

I searched the Philippines records on Ancestry for Pedro Blanco, but no luck. However, I note that Emilio Blanco's 1875 marriage record indicates his father's name: Francisco Blanco ("Gentleman"). Given that information, there is an 1847 marriage record in Manila for a Francisco Blanco on Ancestry (father Santiago Blanco). Unfortunately, there is no image.

Philippines, Select Marriages, 1723-1957
Name: Francisco Victor Blanco
Birth Place: Binondo
Marriage Date: 14 Apr 1847
Marriage Place: Saint Michael Archangel, San Miguel, Manila, Metropolitan Manila, Philippines
Father: Santiago Blanco
Mother: Josefa Escobal
Spouse: Maria Cordoba
FHL Film Number: 1128398

On Ancestry, there is a sparse family tree that hasn't been updated in two years. It includes Santiago Blanco and Josefa Escobal, son Francisco Victor Blanco (b 1820) and another son named Felipe Santiago Blanco (b 1822). Interestingly, this tree lists father Santiago's birth place as Cervo, Imperia, Liguria, Italy. Josefa's birth place is listed as Manila.

Perhaps you could try contacting the Ancestry family tree owner for more details. However, they haven't logged on in two years.
MoVidger

Postby wallydoginoz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:39 am

Thank you so much for looking this up - I think I have seen this on the Familysearch website but dismissed it but it actually looks quite promising.
wallydoginoz

Next

Return to General research queries