Moderator Control Panel ]

Visiting Locations from own Family Tree

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Visiting Locations from own Family Tree

Postby Cachalot6972 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:52 pm

West Row, Suffolk was where several generations of my family were ‘Ag Labs’.
Cooks Drove runs slightly north-west from West Row and about three miles along is Fodder Fen Drove. My G-G-grandfather Morley Curtis and his son Isaac – my G-grandfather lived at the junction of the two Droves
From the 1881 census, they seemed to be living next to each other, one in each drove, and on the corner where the two droves meet were a couple of ramshackle buildings that looked as if they might still be lived in. It gave me a slight frisson to think that was probably where they lived.
Looking around, the land stretched away almost dead flat. Somewhere close must be the 23 acres they had farmed when Morley was ‘...employing 1 man and 1 boy’. Even in summer it didn’t take too much imagination to think what it must have been like working there in the winter with the east wind whistling across the fields driving the sleet before it.
It was Isaac’s son, my grandfather, who made the break from the land, eventually ending up working for the GPO.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Postby Proteus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:29 pm

I traced my mothers ancestors to a farm on the Isle of Man and luckily found that they had built holiday cottages next to the house. This was a few years back, I took my mother and her brother and a few nieces to stay there. The owners actually let us view the house that my GGG grandmother lived in. Visits to the local cemetery allowed us to pay our thanks to our ancestors buried there, a very moving and thought provoking trip that I plan to hopefully take again although my mum is in her 80's now.
Proteus

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am

Proteus wrote:I traced my mothers ancestors to a farm on the Isle of Man and luckily found that they had built holiday cottages next to the house. This was a few years back, I took my mother and her brother and a few nieces to stay there. The owners actually let us view the house that my GGG grandmother lived in. Visits to the local cemetery allowed us to pay our thanks to our ancestors buried there, a very moving and thought provoking trip that I plan to hopefully take again although my mum is in her 80's now.

That sounds like a good trip. I have taken my children on picnics to Chiddingly in East Sussex, where some of my mum's family live. It's very peaceful there and we have played "hunt the gravestone" trying to find ancestors.
ksouthall

Postby paulr1949 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:35 pm

I managed another trip last week - we had a long weekend in the Isle of Wight and I spent one day of it in Newport RO: I need to go back as my family from the island is the common name of Lock and I didn't get through their BaMaBu index completely and didn't even have time to think about looking at other sources! Whilst there I looked round Shorwell church where a number of relatives lived, and saw the farm at Rowborough where my 3xGG parents lived until 1853, and a few other places. The churchyard at Shorwell has a large number of graves of the Way family (Frances Way was my 2 x GGM) and I need to investigate further. That's the trouble with family history, there's always another family to research!
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Norfolk Nan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:21 pm

I began researching my family history back in the mid-1980s when you had to do a lot of research on foot and trips to village churchyards were essential. One of the earliest visits was to a village called Barkway in Hertfordshire. We didn't know much about the place but it had been the first place outside London so off we went. It was a Saturday afternoon in summer and the typical 'sleepy English Village'. There were two women having a chat as we drove through looking for the churchyard. No joy with headstones so we wandered along to the only shop open which was a bric-a-brack shop. We got talking to the shopowner who wondered why we were in the village and within ten minutes he had rung someone and sent us off to meet a chap who he thought could help us. We knocked on the cottage door and were welcomed in by a chap who said his wife had told him there were strangers in the village (yes, she was one of the two chatting as we drove down the street). This chap proved to be a mine of information as he was a trained historian and had researched the history of the village. He pulled a file from his shelves that contained lots of interesting information about our family and even offered to take us for a short tour of where various members of the family had lived. The final bit of icing on the cake was that the house we were standing in had also been lived in by a key member of our tree. Through this lovely man we were put in touch with others researching our family - distant cousins - and showed how helpful people doing family history can be.

Since then we've visited lots of other places that we've connections to but none have quite had the 'really!' factor of that first 'field' visit.
Norfolk Nan

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat