Moderator Control Panel ]

Adoption

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Adoption

Postby rob27 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:40 pm

I am trying to trace the adoption records of Reginald Bullock. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Reginald Bullock born January 1910 in Northampton, Northamptonshire,his mother Gertrude Bullock but unfortunately his father does not appear on his birth certificate. The 1911 census indicates Reginald was taken in by the Thomas Tilley family from Kettering, Northamptonshire. On entry No.10 it states Reginald Bullock "Boarder" (Adopted). I understand shortly after his name was changed to Tilley.

I am hopeful his adoption records are still available.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

rob27

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
rob27

Re: Adoption

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:03 am

Adoption in England and Wales was entirely informal until 1927. See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... adoptions/

As it implies there, the chances of there ever being any documentation for that adoption is slim. I've seen it suggested that the most likely reason for anything to survive is if the agreement were formalised through a local solicitor. However, this seems unlikely, not least due to the expense involved in creating something that wasn't legally required. Even if such an agreement had been made, about your only chance of finding it would be if the solicitor's files have been donated to the local Record Office.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:13 am

A more practical approach might be to follow up on the illegitimacy angle. Some bodies, usually the local Poor Law administrators???, might follow up the father with a view to getting the equivalent of child maintenance out of him. However, survival and/or accessibility of such records is patchy. Lancashire Records Office has loads of stuff. Cheshire doesn't - or it's lost in a morass of paper. Maybe you should investigate what Northamptonshire RO have for your time period.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby rob27 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 pm

AdrianB38

Thank you very much for your reply.

Your suggested avenues of research is very much appreciated. I can understand the cost of a solicitor would put many a family off going down that route. I will start with having a discussion with our local Record Office and see what that turns up.

Thank you again for help.

rob27

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
rob27

Return to General research queries