Moderator Control Panel ]

Charles Parsons & Parents - Birmingham 1820s/30s

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Charles Parsons & Parents - Birmingham 1820s/30s

Postby MoVidger » Fri May 31, 2019 2:37 pm

This is just a thought, but as John Parson's death occurred in February 1838, could wife Elizabeth have been too overwhelmed at the time to register Charles' birth? That is if Charles was born circa 1838/39.
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Fri May 31, 2019 3:54 pm

There are certainly signs that the Padmore family in question were later in Birmingham.
Potential marriages there of Elizabeth's siblings, possibly including Charles Padmore to Rebecca Whateley at St Philip in 1824. They are around in the census.
That marriage may have been witnessed by a couple of Parsons (but not John + Elizabeth!)
Charles and Rebecca had their (first?) daughter - called Harriet - baptized at St Martin, 17 April 1826, on the same day as John + Elizabeth's own Harriet. In fact it's the next entry!

Burial of a Harriet Padmore at St Martin, 15 May 1842, age 72. Abode Watery Lane. But I can't see her in the census!
For George, the closest is a George Podmore buried there in May 1834, age 64.

ianbee wrote:also indexed Bednall? I don't have access to the original to investigate why they say that
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL3J-1FW7

From a quick look, it seems to be some kind of indexing error on findmypast. Identical images.
ianbee

Postby Robbie J N » Fri May 31, 2019 5:48 pm

I just re-checked John Parsons's death certificate, and Elizabeth signed it with an X, as the informant. On the marriage record for John Parsons and Elizabeth Padmore, she signs it with an X too, or it at least says 'her mark'. So that seems to be another good indicator that Charles's mother's maiden name was indeed Padmore.
However, Elizabeth Rhodes and Elizabeth Perkins both signed with an X, or 'her mark', too, just to add a bit of confusion.
The names of Elizabeth Padmore's parents still provide the best indicator that she was the right one. Sorry if I seem to be going backwards a bit, I am just trying to be as sure as possible that she is the right Elizabeth, and not one of the other candidates.
The 2 cousins being Christened on the same day is also a very good indicator that the families might be connected.

Thanks again for all the help.

Interestingly, Gad Parsons was born in Staffordshire, as best I can tell from the only Christening record I have found, though in a place called Rowley Regis. Both sides of Charles Parsons's family seem to have roots in Staffordshire, not just Warwickshire.
Robbie J N

Postby Robbie J N » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:11 am

Just to continue this on a bit, I was looking up Elizabeth Padmore's parents and found that George was born in 1770, as previously mentioned, to Thomas Padmore (Podmore) and Annabella Taylor (Arabella Tayler), who married in 1760 in Eccleshall, Stafford. They had at least 9 children that I have found so far, between 1761-76.
Trying to narrow down Thomas's birth is a bit tricky. The best candidate is Thomas Podmore, Christened 1731 in St Mary, Stafford, to Thomas (Thomae) Podmore and Dorothy (Dorotheae). A Thomas Podmore married a Dorothy Yates in 1730 in Sandon, Stafford.
Also, an Arabella Taylor had a Christening in 1737 in Eccleshall, Staffordshire, with father's name Thomas.
Do you think this is the correct line to follow for Elizabeth Padmore's ancestry?
Thanks for any help.
Robbie J N

Previous

Return to General research queries