Moderator Control Panel ]

Looking to trace natural grandparents and beyond

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Looking to trace natural grandparents and beyond

Postby Laura1989 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:04 pm

I am looking to trace my natural grandparents and the rest of my ancestors of possible.

My mother was given up for adoption at birth by her parents who were too young to care for her, the adoptees were friends of their families and could not have children of their own.

My natural grandparents details are as follows ( the writing from the photo is quite difficult to read )

John Mcinnes - Engine Greaser - 26 Whitehills Street Glasgow
Margaret Wilson - Factory worker - 26 ledaig place, Glasgow

Both addresses are in the dennistoun area of glasgow.

Her adoptive parents were called Margaret Low ( Reilly was her maiden name ) and Alexander Low who both lived in Alexandra Parade area at the time of the adoption.

My mum was born in 1961.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
FB_IMG_1558821459168.jpeg
FB_IMG_1558821459168.jpeg (88.69 KiB) Viewed 636 times

Sent from my H8216 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Laura1989

Re: Looking to trace natural grandparents and beyond

Postby MayHam » Sat May 25, 2019 11:35 pm

If you haven't already tried, the good folks at The Mitchell may be able to help.
https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk ... ldren.aspx
MayHam

Postby Mick Loney » Sun May 26, 2019 5:37 am

Judging by the age of your mother, it is quite possible that you are dealing with people who are still living, so I’d tread very carefully!
I believe this forum frowns upon researching living individuals!
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:53 am

Well, we don't frown on people researching living individuals - we've all done it - rather we don't breach their privacy by putting their details on here.

I'm not sure how much Laura knows about what facilities there are, or where she is, but Scotland has the great system ScotlandsPeople recording the births, marriages and deaths certified in Scotland plus parish registers and wills for earlier years. You can download the certificates from SP but there are privacy cutoffs of 100y ago for births, 75 for marriages and 50 for deaths. The indexes for more recent events are online and are fairly useful by themselves but you have to send away for the certificates. And with a common name like Margaret Wilson you will need the certificates to see whether you've got the right one.

One thing to check using the ScotlandsPeople online indexes - did your grandparents ever go on to marry? There might be a marriage for a couple of the same names - but is it them or just coincidence? You'd need the certificate to tell. And it might not be clear even then.

I understand that you can pay for sessions in centres in Scotland and download stuff from ScotlandsPeople there, which is useful if the centre has access to other facilities as well. I suspect that MayHam is on the right track - you will need someone with local knowledge to help find your way round the various sources for those years that might enable you to find something - in particular, you need to find something to distinguish your grandparents from others of the same name. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about family history in Glasgow to know what's available other than that there are rich sources for some periods of time.

So I'd guess that's what you need to do first - identify somewhere with the local knowledge that can guide you to sources that almost certainly aren't online. And, of course, tread carefully - either could still be alive with other children.

Sorry I can't be of more help but good luck.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:57 am

Sorry, I should have said - newspapers and electoral registers are 2 major things to look for. The registers in particular are possibly the first thing to go for but are presumably still only on paper so local visits will be needed.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries