Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry - Military Help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Ancestry - Military Help

Postby smileylinge33 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Hello,
I am trying to trace my grandfather:-
Walter John Lodge, born 1907, ilford/hornchurch??
he was bought up as an orphan, my mother doesn't know any information on him as he sadly died in 1945 when my mother was only 2 years old. My nan never disclosed any information.
we have recently managed to obtain his army records, yet we cannot find any trace of him on ancestry.
hoping this is where you guys can come in to fill the missing pieces.
his mother: Lilla E Lodge born 1886 in Great Dunmow, Essex. Lilla had a brother that was also called Walter.
I have attached the army records in the hope that some one knows where to take my search from here.
The first attachment is coming up too large, :(

Its always been my dream to find the information for my mother, she is saddened that she doesn't know any information, not even conclusive date of birth.

Thank you for reading

kind regards

Tania
Attachments
army1.jpg
Army Record 1
army1.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 625 times
smileylinge33

Re: Ancestry - Military Help

Postby smileylinge33 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:38 pm

I have managed to chop the document, so you can at least see some of it
:)
Attachments
army11.jpg
Army
army11.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 613 times
smileylinge33

Postby Mick Loney » Sat May 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Tania,
Would be nice if could give surname of brother, and was Lodge Lilla’s married name or Maiden name?
Have you found Walter’s birth registration at GRO? If you know it was Ilford area, it shouldn’t be too hard to track down.
If Lodge was Lilla’s married name, try looking for a marriage between a Lodge and a spouse called Lilla! This will hopefully give you Walter’s mother maiden name, so from there you could find his birth registration.
Next time I’m on my PC, I’ll have a look myself.
Mick Loney

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Welcome to the Forum. I don't see an obvious birth your grandfather circa 1907. Nor have I found his mother Lilla in the 1911 census. Have you managed to find either? You say he was brought up as an orphan at age 2, but without a birth record, how have you confirmed Lilla is his birth mother?
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Also, which town/city does Walter's 1925 Attestation record indicate? (It's not visible in the image).
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 25, 2019 5:32 pm

On Walter's marriage certificate (if you have a copy), is there a father named?
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Something more helpful:

Essex Newsman 09 June 1928: Walter John Lodge, age 21, farm labourer, was charged with stealing a bicycle in Braintree. The blurb gives a bit of background on him. Too long to write out here, but it's on FMP if you have a subscription. It states Walter was "formerly of Braintree and latterly of Wales. Prisoner was brought up by the Braintree Guardians and put out to work in Wales. He had no parents. Probation Officer undertook to get the prisoner back to Wales".

There's another article relating to a Walter John Lodge, factory worker of Kelveden, brought up on horrific cruelty charges for shooting and kicking dog into a ditch. :( :shock: That's in the Essex Newsman 11 April 1942.
Last edited by MoVidger on Sat May 25, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MoVidger

Postby smileylinge33 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:58 pm

I have attached Census for Lilla Emma Lodge in 1891 Census, you can see from information that her brother is on there as Walter J Lodge, and Lilla parents Charles + Sarah. I presume that Lodge is then her maiden name.
My mother confirmed that Lilla is definitely his mother, (from research that she has already carried out,)

1925 attestation it say Ilford/Mid Essex

on marriage certificate - father unknown
Attachments
lilla.jpg
Lilla
lilla.jpg (533.61 KiB) Viewed 585 times
smileylinge33

Postby MoVidger » Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Our posts may have crossed -- see my previous post about his 1925 and possible 1942 newspaper mentions.
MoVidger

Postby smileylinge33 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:09 pm

I have attached copy of the marriage certificate, it says father unknown,

I am not sure how to reply individually to each person that's posting, so trying to cover it all.

my mother confirmed that Lilla E Lodge is Walter's mother. on his discharge papers he put a nok as a Mrs Payne, my mother ordered her certificate and it had maiden name as a lodge, and through this trace she found on there relative names she recognised, so she is 100% sure Lilla is his mother.
Attachments
marriage.jpg
marriage
marriage.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 576 times
smileylinge33

Next

Return to Military help