Moderator Control Panel ]

Information wanted on R.A.F. Sgt Jack Spencer

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Information wanted on R.A.F. Sgt Jack Spencer

Postby Markdw » Mon May 20, 2019 7:01 am

I'm searching for information and possibly relatives of Sgt Jack Spencer (1307935), who is buried at our local cemetry (Dongen, the netherlands)

Jack Spencer was an air gunner that served in 622 Squadron based at RAF Mildenhall. He was the rear gunner of Lancaster LL859, GI-Q that set out on an operation to bomb the oil refinery at Homberg on 20th July 1944. This was the crew’s 14th operation.
There are no recorded details of next of kin or age.
The crew took off from RAF Mildenhall at 23:10 hours as part of 158 aircraft including 15 from 622 Squadron briefed to bomb the oil Refinery at Homberg. Official records show that the Bomber force were intercepted by the German night fighter force shortly before reaching the target and shot down twenty aircraft. Jack and his crew were shot down by Oblt Dietrich Schmidt of 8./NJG1.
The Lancaster crashed at around 01:40 hours at Dongen (Noord-Brabant), 11kw from the centre of Tilburg Holland. The next day the remains of the crashed plane were found and the crew members were removed.
Jack is buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery at Dongen. Five crew members are buried in Gilzerbaan town Cemetery and the other at the Canadian War Cemetery section at Bergen Op Zoom cemetery.
Markdw

Re: Information wanted on R.A.F. Sgt Jack Spencer

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 am

Do you have any information as to where he came from,would help to locate possible decendents.
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Postby Markdw » Mon May 20, 2019 8:34 am

No, I don't ave any information about relatives, also no age, or birthdate is known. The CWGC website doesn't mention any parents or any other relatives.
Markdw

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am

Tried the The Air Force Lists for Mar, May July 1944 and no J Spencer with that no.
Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby meekhcs » Mon May 20, 2019 11:15 am

Looking at the CWGC Website he was a RAF volunteer reserve member.

Forces War records has a couple of records for him but I don't have a sub to view. The 1940 record lists him as RAF. The 1944 record lists himas RAF Volunteer Reserve. Both times no. 1307935

There are several websites on google that may yield further info.

edited to add service number
meekhcs

Postby Markdw » Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 pm

I've checked the Forces War Records, but not much info there, no relatives found...
Markdw

Postby brunes08 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:49 pm

You might find some help by contacting the RAF Museum and Archive at Hendon. They have been very helpful when I have visited. They do have a research facility. Contact them on rafmuseum.org.uk.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby mbford222 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:54 pm

There is a very helpful website called aircrew remembered at aircrewremembered.com. I was able to find information about my father's cousin, and the helpful webmaster even sent maps and grave photos. There are many John Spencers listed as well as J. Spencer. Jack may also have been his second name, as in my family. Good luck.
mbford222

Return to General research queries