Moderator Control Panel ]

Is this possible ?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Is this possible ?

Postby Julian Parker » Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 am

Hi
While researching a friends family I have come across an Attestation paper for a James Thomas Matthews. He was 20 when enlisting ,D.oB 1887 , so he enlisted in 1907 in the Kings Royal Rifles.
The paper states he had previous service with the 20th Hussars . Would there have been a time limit of his first service with The Hussars ? . He must have joined The Hussars quite young to have any kind of service length , seems odd .....

Sad note to finish , he was Killed in Action at Ypres on 8th May 1915 .
"His name liveth of evermore" on the Menin Gate memorial .....

Thanks

Julian P
Julian Parker

Re: Is this possible ?

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

(Joined 1906 by the way if anyone's using 1907 for search criteria)

Now, you don't say which site you're using to find this stuff so it's slightly dodgy if I try to describe where to go because you might end up on a different Attestation sheet, but if you look at the very bottom of the image, there's a frame number. Using FindMyPast, we get this as a "transcript":
First name(s) James Thomas
Last name Matthews
Age 20
Birth year 1886
Birth town Essington
Birth county Staffordshire
Birth country England
Service number 7200
Regiment King's Royal Rifle Corps
Year 1906
Residence town Walsall
Residence county Staffordshire
Residence country England
Series WO 363
Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'

The image linked to this is frame 1008. The answers that you need are on frame 1012 and 1040 so you may need to go forward or back.

Frame 1012 is his Statement of Services and although his service reckons from 14/7/06, there is a note that says he is allowed to reckon his former service in the 20th Hussars from (I think) 30/6/05 to 30/10/05 "i.e. 113 days" (does that figure compute?) towards his Good Conduct Badge.

So that's the answer to how long he was in the Hussars. Then frame 1040 very nicely tells us why he came out of the Hussars. He had apparently been discharged to support his parents, so the Army was asking to get his parents consent to him rejoining (when he joined the KRRC).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Is this possible ?

Postby Julian Parker » Fri May 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi ...
Excellent thanks , that all seems to fit nicely . However his mother has a death of 1899 , that may need some revision .
Thank you

Julian P
Julian Parker

Return to Military help