Moderator Control Panel ]

Burial in Retford

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Burial in Retford

Postby philarys » Wed May 15, 2019 7:01 am

Can anyone help me find a burial place in Retford. It was Joseph T Pratt. he was killed in an accident on 30th June 1941. In the Retford Hospital. His place of work was Petrol Station Moorgate park he was age 46years.

Iam writing a story of his life for an elderly relation of his. As he went though a lot in his short life
WW1 and then his wife died, so he went into the RAF, and disappeared from the village, When his mother was ill, they put newspaper story asking him to come and see her. But he never arrived, I have his death cert.

But this is the last piece of the story, also there was an inquest 1st July 1941 if any one can help me find that,

Many thanks
Hilary
philarys

Re: Burial in Retford

Postby sdup26 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am

There's East Retford Cemetery, but have you tried the local newspaper archive for possible reports of Joseph's accident and inquest?
sdup26

Postby philarys » Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Thanks for letting me know about East Retford I don't know the area at all.
I have searchrd the newspapers for a metion of his death but nothing as yet, I know in our area inquests are published, maybe as its war years they didn't
philarys

Postby AntonyM » Thu May 16, 2019 9:35 am

Many newspapers for that period are not available on-line and you may have to manually go through copies at the local archives (probably on microfilm), or through the Newspaper collections at The British Library - e.g. they have copies of the "Retford, Gainsborough & Worksop Times, Newark & Mansfield Weekly News" covering that period.

Inquests often feature, even in wartime, but they don't always - depends really on whether they were deemed interesting enough.

If any inquest records survive, they may still be with the coroner, or deposited at the archives (they are usually closed for 75 years).
AntonyM

Postby philarys » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Sorry i took so long to answer have been away, Thanks for your advice, I have newspaper on find my past, but i will try Bristish newpaper

Thanks Hilary
philarys

Return to General research queries