Moderator Control Panel ]

Khaki dockers

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Khaki dockers

Postby Tobina » Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 pm

My husband’s grandfather was wounded at Mons in 1914. He was sent home to be hospitalised after which we believe he became a khaki docker in Liverpool.
We have been unable to find any information about the khaki dockers or even if they existed.
Has anyone else heard of these & if so where can we find information?

Tobina
Tobina

Re: Khaki dockers

Postby brunes08 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 pm

I just googled khaki dockers. I was surprised by what popped up. It doesn’t seem to be anything to do with dock workers but instead the making of khaki lightweight trousers. Have a look and see if that fits with other things you know about your husband’s grandfather.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm

I suspect that the term could be used in several ways. The most obvious one to me (which doesn't make it correct) is that he was in what eventually became the Labour Corps in the British Army.

Soldiers who were not physically fit for combat duties could be used to play hugely important roles in support functions requiring manual labour. Transport for one - not the skilled work of driving trains or laying track but the transhipping of stuff from ships into trains, eg. Another area was supporting farmers getting the harvest in - not directly linked to Army operations, but important to the war effort.

Seems to me that the term khaki dockers might very well have been used to describe soldiers from the Labour Corps (or its predecessors) who were working in the UK transhipping cargoes in the docks. Not necessarily military cargoes but possibly anything that the UK needed.

It's sometimes difficult to see Labour Corps assignments on Medal Index Cards and Rolls, because if it was a UK based assignment, it didn't count towards a campaign medal so wasn't entered in the Rolls or on the Index Cards.

If you can find his Service papers, they should tell you where he was allocated. If not, an Absent Voters List for 1918 or 1919 might help though someone's going to have to interpret the company number.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Wed May 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi,

The Liverpool Dock Battalion were known as the "Khaki Dockers Battalion or Dockers Battalion" they were specifically a pals battalion for dock workers. There are quite a few good Google links with info such as
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/137 ... liverpool/

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MvZ ... on&f=false

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1 ... kBattalion

Cheers

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks Dan. Roughly what I was thinking of in terms of the type of work done, though with differences. In particular, there seems no mention of that lot ending up in the Labour Corps as I think happened with other units.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Tobina » Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 am

Many thanks for your replies.
I shall investigate all the suggestions.

Tobina
Tobina

Return to Military help