Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree Maker 2019

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Family Tree Maker 2019

Postby JaneyH » Tue May 14, 2019 5:20 pm

I don’t know how many readers use this software (previously sold by Ancestry, now Makiev). I had an email today offering me the chance to “pre-order” the new edition at half price. The offer is only valid for three days.

I’m happy to go for the cheapest option and download the software, but I was struggling to see exactly *when* it would come out. (Some readers may recall the long and protracted launch of their 2017 edition.)

Having just chatted to Mackiev’s customer service people it turns out that no release date has been set; it could be any time from June to August ... hence the line summer 2019”. Just one to bear in mind. Image

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Re: Family Tree Maker 2019

Postby Mick Loney » Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm

JanyH,
I ditched FTM when Ancestry gave it to Makiev, and went with Family Historian (now V6.2.7), and never looked back. My personal opinion is that FH outstrips FTM, and is a joy to work with. They offer a free trial version, so worth giving it a try.
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks Mick. I’m a creature of habit, hence still using FTM. I definitely want to keep my tree local, on my own laptop. But I also want my online tree with Ancestry because that’s where my DNA test is. I will take a look at FH though.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Mick Loney » Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 pm

JaneyH,
You may find FH a bit of a steep learning curve, coming from FTM, but do persevere, as I think you’ll find it worth it in the long run, and you won’t regret it one bit. Like FTM, it provides hints, but to Myheritage and Findmypast sites rather than Ancestry.
The problem with Ancestry DNA hints, is they only truly work if you maintain your subscription, as I found out. You still still login and get the matches, but when you try to look at the other persons tree, you can’t! :cry:
Mick Loney

Return to Genealogy chat