Moderator Control Panel ]

Thomas Howson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Thomas Howson

Postby Will Mundy » Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 am

I’m looking for information on my 5th great grandfather Thomas Howson he was married in 1807 in Witney to a Susannah Barret. Not long afterwards he was sent to the workhouse in Witney and was said to have failed. Susannah moves away and she remarries I’m not sure if Thomas knew but he was considered insane according to the quarter sessions. I can’t find Thomas’s death or birth, his first son was called Thomas Broughton Howson, it was not a name from Susannahs side so I assume it’s from Thomas’s side.

Any help would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Re: Thomas Howson

Postby DarrenP » Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm

It would help anyone looking at your post if you could tell us what is the latest date you have for Thomas, when Susannah remarried, and the baptisms of any children they had together.
Have you ruled out the 1779 baptism of a Thomas Howson to a William and Hannah in Thame? It is the only one I can see on Ancestry.
Unless his parents were nonconformist; there seems to have been quite a few denominations in Witney. The Society of Friends was active around that time.
DarrenP

Postby MoVidger » Mon May 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Is this your Thomas Howson in the adverts section of the Oxford Journal (14 April and April 28, 1810)?

"Thomas Howson, Woolen and Linen Draper, Haberdasher, Hosier, and Hatter.
High Street, Witney, Oxon
Begs to acquaint the inhabitants of Witney and its environs, that he just returned from London, with an elegant and fashionable assortment of Spring Goods..."

FMP has this record for a Thomas Howson, apprentice linen draper:

Britain, Country Apprentices 1710-1808
First name(s) Thomas
Last name Howson
Role Apprentice
Indenture or registration year 1797
Indenture year 1797
Registration year 1798
Place -
County -
Apprentice's first name(s) Thomas
Apprentice's last name Howson
Master's first name(s) Thomas
Master's last name Osborne
Master's occupation Linen draper
Master's place Tewkesbury
Master's county Gloucestershire
The National Archives reference (IR 1 series) 68 f 208
Society of Genealogists number 272444
MoVidger

Postby Will Mundy » Tue May 14, 2019 4:56 pm

MoVidger wrote:Is this your Thomas Howson in the adverts section of the Oxford Journal (14 April and April 28, 1810)?

"Thomas Howson, Woolen and Linen Draper, Haberdasher, Hosier, and Hatter.
High Street, Witney, Oxon
Begs to acquaint the inhabitants of Witney and its environs, that he just returned from London, with an elegant and fashionable assortment of Spring Goods..."

FMP has this record for a Thomas Howson, apprentice linen draper:

Britain, Country Apprentices 1710-1808
First name(s) Thomas
Last name Howson
Role Apprentice
Indenture or registration year 1797
Indenture year 1797
Registration year 1798
Place -
County -
Apprentice's first name(s) Thomas
Apprentice's last name Howson
Master's first name(s) Thomas
Master's last name Osborne
Master's occupation Linen draper
Master's place Tewkesbury
Master's county Gloucestershire
The National Archives reference (IR 1 series) 68 f 208
Society of Genealogists number 272444

Thanks, yes that’s him, by 1812 there was a removal order for him, his wife and children from Oxford to Witney. He was considered a lunatic pauper and his business had failed. What happened to him after that is a mystery. Susannah his wife remarried in 1827 in wolvercote Oxfordshire and declares she’s a spinster, so seems it was a bigamous marriage

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Postby Will Mundy » Tue May 14, 2019 5:04 pm

DarrenP wrote:It would help anyone looking at your post if you could tell us what is the latest date you have for Thomas, when Susannah remarried, and the baptisms of any children they had together.
Have you ruled out the 1779 baptism of a Thomas Howson to a William and Hannah in Thame? It is the only one I can see on Ancestry.
Unless his parents were nonconformist; there seems to have been quite a few denominations in Witney. The Society of Friends was active around that time.

Thomas and Susannah married in 1807 in Witney, they had Thomas Broughton 1808, Susannah 1810 and Mary Ann 1811. Mary Ann was born in Oxford but her older siblings were born in Witney. There is a removal order for Thomas and family in 1812 from Oxford to Witney describing Thomas as a lunatic pauper who’s business had failed. This is his last mention. When Susannah remarried in 1827 she describes herself as a spinster.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Will Mundy

Return to General research queries