Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Navy service records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Navy service records

Postby Julian Parker » Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 am

Hello all ....
I've been asked the following question ......

"I've received a Royal Navy Service Record & under Ship/Shore Establishments there is an entry for "Lent : Fort Books". Does anyone know what this means or come across it before?"......

If anyone can throw any light on it , I'd be grateful to hear ....
Many Thanks

Julian P
Julian Parker

Re: Royal Navy service records

Postby MaureenE » Sat May 11, 2019 10:50 pm

It is my understanding that "Lent" means temporarily attached. He was "lent out" to work somewhere else. I would expect that the next part would be the name of the establishment he was attached to. Fort Books as a place name sounds a bit odd, perhaps it is a mis -transcription?

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:34 am

Maureen's explanation of Lent sounds sensible. I couldn't think past Lent as in the period before Easter.

If there is a military base called Fort something in the vicinity, then Fort might be a reference to that, in which case, maybe it's saying that he was lent out to the Fort and his entry will be found in the books for the Fort???

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Julian Parker » Sun May 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi
Thank you for the replies , one step nearer .Much appreciated ...
Julian Parker

Postby Julian Parker » Fri May 17, 2019 6:08 am

Hi ,
For those interested . A 'Fort' was a Canadian vessel manned by British crews during WW2 . However no such vessel appears to have existed .The closest match seemed like Fort Boise , so a mis transcription of the 'Boise' bit seems likely ....
Cheers
Julian P
Julian Parker

Return to Military help