Moderator Control Panel ]

John Edward Windel-Swedish or Danish? Approx 1827

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Edward Windel-Swedish or Danish? Approx 1827

Postby BrummieDave » Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 pm

I have two possible father's names and two distinct countries for this John Edward Windel. I am trying to find his birth and details of his parents.

I was told an old family tale that the Windel family was descended from a Swedish pirate. The Swedish may be correct, but whether the family came from a pirate will have to remain a legend to entertain future generations as I have been unable to find anything more about this.

What I know is that John Edward Windel, the first of this Windel family to establish himself in England said on his first marriage in 1860 in Liverpool to Mary Ann Ger(r)ard that his father was Sven Windel, a soldier.
On the 1861 Liverpool Census he appears under the name Windle and said he was born in Denmark. On the 1871 Census (as Windel), he said was born in 1827 in Gottenburg (now Gothenburg) in Sweden, hence the Swedish connection and that he was a sailor.
I have been unable to find out whether it was Sweden or Denmark for certain, although Sweden seems more likely as John (again as Windle) repeated in the 1891 Census that he was born in Sweden.
Another difficulty is that on his second marriage in1879 to Esther Fox he said his father was Carl Peter Windel, not Sven.
Of course, his name may have been anglicised too.
He died, age 73, in the Liverpool Workhouse on the 16 March 1900.

Consequently, I now have two possible father's names and two distinct countries.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could suggest a way forward to solve this particular brick wall.
BrummieDave

Re: John Edward Windel-Swedish or Danish? Approx 1827

Postby DarrenP » Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 am

There are two ways you can approach this. If you don't have the world subscription for ancestry, you could perhaps try your local library to see if they do.
The other option is a site called arkivdigital. They have nearly all the Swedish church records. Obviously the records are in Swedish but they are not hard to work out.
Knowing your ancestor's birthplace is the key. A place like Gothernburg may have more than one parish. If you can locate his baptism you will then be able to trace the family in the Household Examination books, which are similar to the English censuses but go back further.
Hope this helps.
DarrenP

Postby DarrenP » Tue May 07, 2019 1:01 am

One more thing. You might find the surname Windel disappear. If his father was a soldier you might find beyond that the patronymic surnames come out.
DarrenP

Postby DarrenP » Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 am

A quick look on familysearch tells me there are 12 or 13 parishes in Gothenburg for the relevant period. According to their site they have the records online, but there are no Windel records at all. It doesn't mean that he wasn't born there. The LDS are notorious for having missing records.
DarrenP

Postby BrummieDave » Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
Like you, I looked on familysearch with no results.
I’ll look on Ancestry Worldwide again-as I didn’t succeed first time. I’ll also subscribe to the Swedish database you mentioned as it sounds very good.
Thanks again.
BrummieDave

Return to General research queries