Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others
Post a reply

Samuel James Stowers

Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Dear all,

I am after some help, I am researching Samuel James Stowers, I have him on the 1911 and 1901 census, I know he died in 1947 and I have his marriage index for his marriage to Esther Robinson in 1898. But after that nothing! He was born in 1878 and as far as I am aware was born and lived in Liverpool, any hep would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Re: Samuel James Stowers

Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm

According to the 1939 Register, he's living at 3 Matlock Avenue , Liverpool. Occupation: Mill Labourer.
DoB: 16 Sept 1877. He's residing with wife Esther. There are two other ladies at the address, plus two redacted entries.

Mon May 06, 2019 6:15 pm

at least I know his DOB, anything earlier (that would show me who his parents are?)

Thanks

Tue May 07, 2019 11:10 am

His marriage certificate will show his father's name and occupation so with that you should be able to find them prior to his marriage to Esther.

Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 pm

I know, but if I am honest I was trying to save myself the time and cost of ordering one. He should be on at least two census' but I can't find him on either!

Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm

On Find My Past, there are two 1903 Liverpool Workhouse records (with images) for Samuel Stowers (born 1878). One of the images has a notation in the Name and Address of Nearest Relative column. Next to wife Esther's name is the notation "Prisoner Rb (?) 682". In the remarks column is "P.C. 254".
Might be worth following-up.

Also, Samuel's daughter Esther had a Catholic baptism in May 1905 (record with image is on Ancestry). Father listed as Samuelis Stowers.

Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Fantastic, I'll have a look, THANK YOU

Tue May 07, 2019 4:59 pm

I've searched for Samuel in Ancestry's Criminal Registers for England and Wales 1791–1892 records, but no luck yet. Obviously he wouldn't be listed if the offence occurred circa 1900.
Find My Past have England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935 records, but a quick search didn't find him.
There's always the possibility he changed his name by the time he married in 1898.

Tue May 07, 2019 5:22 pm

I can't find a birth on freebmd.org for a Samuel James Stowers in 1877; ditto on gro.gov.uk, although there's a Samuel Storey born Sept Q 1878 in Liverpool, mother Stead.

Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 am

Given that Samuel and Esther's children had Catholic baptisms, I wonder if the following is any relation to Samuel James:

Name: Jacob Septinus Stowers (middle name probably Septimus - "seventh" ?)
Birth Date: 21 Jul 1856
Baptism Date: 15 Aug 1859
Baptism Place: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father: Jacob Stowers
Mother: Elizabeth Herbert Stevens

Had a quick search for James/Jacob and he might be this James Stowers, lodging with the Keho family in 1871. No sign of him yet in any other census, though.
Having said that, there is a Jacob and Elizabeth H Stower appearing in the 1861 and 1871 census, with son James Gifford Stower (1851-1874). Jacob was a British Wine & General Merchant. Are they connected to the Jacob baptised above in 1859?

Name: James Stowers
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Relation: Lodger
Where born: Liverpool
Civil Parish: Liverpool
Registration district: Liverpool
Sub-registration district: Howard Street
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
Household schedule number: 62
Piece: 3769
Folio: 33
Page Number: 11