Moderator Control Panel ]

WW11 seaman's medals

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW11 seaman's medals

Postby meekhcs » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:26 pm

How can I find out if my husband's grandfather's seaman's medals were ever issued for WW11 please?

We have his WW1 medals.

He was a merchant seaman who served in the RNVR in both wars.

I have a copy of his medal record from the National Archives reference BT395/1/51318, but written across his entry is the inscription "D.N.A. TO ISSUE". I believe DNA in this instance refers Director of Naval Accounts.

Many thanks
Sally
meekhcs

Re: WW11 seaman's medals

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 pm

I believe that you should start with the Ministry of Defence Medal Office. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-guide-to-ministry-of-defence-medal-office

You'll have to go through the various pages carefully as I'm not sure which heading the RNVR comes under - if it's not clear, I guess a simple enquiry will have to suffice as a "starter for ten".

I know that the web pages are written in terms of applying for a medal but I think that the mechanism will be the same - the office will need to pull out the service papers and see whether they have been annotated - I understand that there were no equivalents of Medal Rolls or Medal Index Cards for WW2 and, according to the guy from the MoD MO that I talked to at WDYTYA Live, all they can go on are the annotations that may (or may not) have been made on the service papers.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Mon May 27, 2019 8:01 am

Quick update.
We sent an email as you suggested Adrian. It was suggested we rang JPAC, who in turn told us to fill in and send the medal request forms together with death certificate and any other information which might aid the search.
We have just received a reply saying that we have supplied all the necessary documentation but that the case may take SEVERAL MONTHS to process! So we sit and wait.
For future reference for anyone else in the same position simply fill in the medal request form and send with necessary documentation and a covering letter explaining your situation. This will at least hasten the process by a couple of weeks.
Sally

meekhcs

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for the update Sally. I guess that it depends on how many people they have and how easy it is to access the particular records. It only took a few weeks for them to process the application for my Dad (and say that he wasn't eligible) but I think that Home Guard papers are no more than a sheet or two.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 pm

Probably, but I hope they are erring on the side of caution.

meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Further update

Our application was passed to The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Seafarers section, at Cardiff

Although we supplied an enormous amount of info they will not proceed with the application unless we can supply his discharge book ( which wedon'y have) and/or just (possibly) his complete CR 10 sheets, all of which, according to them, should be available at TNA. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, due to circumstances, I will not be able to visit TNA until at least the end of October so Iam going to park this enquiry for now.

Thanks everyone

Sally
meekhcs

Return to Military help