Moderator Control Panel ]

Please could this photograph be dated

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Please could this photograph be dated

Postby N50BBY » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:25 pm

IMG_4088.JPG
IMG_4088.JPG (376.94 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Hi
I wonder if anyone could assist with dating this photograph please.
I originally based on who relations advised were in the picture thought the picture was dated around the early 1920’s. Based on a bit more detective work I’m thinking it was more between 1905 and 1911.
The 2 eldest on the photograph the earliest died in 1927 and that’s too far away from either of the dates mentioned above.
If anyone could also possibly identify which 3 of the 4 sisters are all sisters and which isn’t then that would also be appreciated. I personally think that the first girl along top row left to right isn’t related but happy to be advised differently.
Also for possibly dating the photo the 3 daughters were born in 1875, 1879 and 1881 and only the one born in 1879 married so could her husband (either back row left or back row right) be on there also? They married in 1909.
Any help/advice would be great
Thanks
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
N50BBY

Re: Please could this photograph be dated

Postby N50BBY » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi All
From another site I have it on pretty good authority that it’s around 1910. Any help though still on which of the 4 girls isn’t a sibling of the other 3 would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
N50BBY

Postby sdup26 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:18 pm

In my opinion, the three young women in a 'triangle' around the older lady are sisters, and she is probably their mother. The young woman on the right of the photo doesn't look like the other three.
sdup26

Postby elaineinsomerset » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:22 pm

comparison.JPG
comparison.JPG (15.79 KiB) Viewed 528 times

Hi, I have been doing some investigation into using free face recognition software from Betaface to help answer exactly this sort of question and have written up how to have a go in a blog on my website (but this forum says I cant give the link as a new member)

Anyway, as you had one image I had to first of all snip out the five women and save them as separate images. I then chose one to compare them against and it gives a % likelihood for them all being the SAME person. As you can see the one I chose comes in at 100% (because it is comparing that image with itself). It then ranks the others putting the woman who was top right in your photo as being the least like the other four. This result seems to confirm that she most likely to be the odd one out.
It would also be traditional for the daughters to be arranged around their mother and with one either side and one stood behind that would also fit. Finally, I have read that that if there are siblings and one is seated and another stood up, that it is usually the older one who is sat down, but by this photo date such conventions might have gone away?
elaineinsomerset

Postby vijayasree5 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:40 am

Three women around the old lady seem like sisters and the old lady is their mother.
vijayasree5

Return to Photo identification