Moderator Control Panel ]

Lintott prison sentence

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Lintott prison sentence

Postby LintottM » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:27 am

Hi I have recently discovered through searching the British Newspaper Archives that my husband's great grandfather was sentenced to 2 months in prison in the 1930's for theft. I am hoping to look into prison records but wondered if the 100 year rule applies? He is deceased, so would this allow me to access the records?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
LintottM

Re: Lintott prison sentence

Postby sdup26 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Crime and Punishment records on Find My Past go up to 1934; I'll check them for you if you feel able to publish a name, but do be cautious about the possibility of offending any other living relatives who may come across this site.
sdup26

Postby LintottM » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 am

Hi the name is Sidney Lewis Lintott. Sometimes written as Sydney. Born in 1896/1897.

Thank you.

LintottM

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:32 am

The TNA Research Guide that looks most useful is on http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... son-staff/

Have a look at that and bear in mind the warnings of the difficulty in finding stuff if you only have a name. But as suggested earlier, FMP appears to be a good start.

Really depends what you want to know - I suspect that the most interesting stuff will relate to the trial, which is another matter, and possibly the best return for the least effort might be newspapers.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sdup26 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:33 am

Poor Sidney - I can just about understand the chickens if he was unemployed and hungry, but a wash tub?
Hampshire Telegraph.
1) 16th May 1930. Sidney Lewis Lintott, labourer, of Manger's Farm Cottage, Liss, was charged with stealing a wash tub, valued at 6s. Accused was remanded with bail.
2) 6th March 1931. Sidney Lewis Lintott, a farm labourer of Manger's Farm, was charged with stealing six chickens. He was seen with a sack on the handlebars of his bicycle. PC Ings stopped him, and found the sack contained 6 chickens worth £2, stolen from Heatherview, Hill Brow. "I am not saying anything," was Lintott's reply. Pleading guilty, accused said he was out of work but had been offered a job if he was treated leniently. He was given a good character as a worker, but Supt Ellis said he was bound over at the Court last year for stealing a wash tub, and had therefore broken his recognisance of £10. The Magistrates agreed, and sentenced him to two months imprisonment.
sdup26

Postby LintottM » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 am

I do feel sorry for him! Maybe he thought he could sell them on for a profit!

I will have a look at FMP to see if I can find anything more.

I found the family on the 1939 register still living at the same address so I guess the 2 months in prison did not affect them too much and he was employed as a builder's labourer.

He joined the marines in the first world war and was suspended!

LintottM

Postby junkers » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm

LintottM wrote:Hi I have recently discovered through searching the British Newspaper Archives that my husband's great grandfather was sentenced to 2 months in prison in the 1930's for theft. I am hoping to look into prison records but wondered if the 100 year rule applies? He is deceased, so would this allow me to access the records?

As it is a theft the 100-year rule should not really apply, murder/manslaughter cases are different because you have to be aware of possible effect on the victim's families and you should really count the 100 years from the stated date of birth, where available. There might be some records at the Hampshire record office in Winchester, it does depend on what they decided to keep.
junkers

Postby LintottM » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:51 pm

That makes sense.

I have thought of visiting the records office to see if there is anything that can be found. Worth a try anyway!

LintottM

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 am

Have a look at their website and online catalogue first - assuming that they have one. Some can be quite informative though catalogues are not necessarily always readable.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby LintottM » Wed May 01, 2019 6:31 am

I will definitely have a look. I think they do have some records, although I can't be sure that he was imprisoned in Hampshire but it would be worth a try.

I work in WInchester so I could pop in quite easily.

LintottM

Next

Return to General research queries