Moderator Control Panel ]

Alice Ivy Wootton

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Alice Ivy Wootton

Postby DebK » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi I am looking for the burial records for Alice Ivy Wootton nee Bodger. She dies March 1943 in Newton Abbott Devon

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
DebK

Re: Alice Ivy Wootton

Postby Cachalot6972 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm

I've tried all the online usual suspects, but I think it will mean a visit to Devon records office. If you are too far away, ask on the forum if there's anyone local who can do a lookup for you.
Be aware though, that she may not be buried in Newton Abbot - unless you know that's where she died. Newton Abbot district covers about 70 other places such as Abbotskerswell, Berry Pomeroy, Chudleigh, Dartington, etc, etc, so you may be in for a long search... Do you have her death cert, that could narrow it down a bit.

If her age at death is correct, then she would have been born about 1897; I've had a look in the 1939 Register but the only Alice I Wootton has a date of birth of 02/11/1895. She is living at 6 Gordon Road, Yeovil, Somerset, with at least two children, Joan & Dennis.
This does seem to be your Alice though because both Joan and Dennis have a mother's maiden surname of Bodger.
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Postby Kekoe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm

In 1943 it is very likely that she was buried in a cemetery rather than a churchyard. So you would need to contact the local council bereavement services to find out which cemetery and plot details.

Before doing that, find out what cemeteries are in the area and see if they have their records online. Check deceasedonline which has cemetery records.

She may have been cremated and not buried at all - local bereavement services would also have records of cremations.
Kekoe

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:43 pm

For info: Newton Abbott cemetery - which, as warned above, may not be the right one - now comes under Teignbridge council

See https://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/communit ... emeteries/

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries