Moderator Control Panel ]

Do I have the same Ethel Louisa Christeen Horsham throughout

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Do I have the same Ethel Louisa Christeen Horsham throughout

Postby SarahDevs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:25 pm

I would be very grateful if someone could cast an eye over my research to see if I have the same Ethel Horsham throughout. Until last month I merely knew her as 'Mrs Wilde' on my grandmother's admission notes to a children's home so I'm quite frankly amazed at how much I have found. Many thanks and much if the credit to this forum and another on FB whose members have unearthed little snippets for me to join together.

There are discrepancies with dates and places but whilst I think these might have been deliberate (or poor transcriptions) I would like to be sure I haven't just overlooked an obvious mistake and am in fact researching two Ethel Horshams.

Working backwards I have:

Death: Ethel Louise C Wilde / Born 09.12.1887 / Wallingford, Berks Vol 6a P 528

1939 register: Ethel LB Wilde 09 Dec 1893 Lime Fire Cottage, Wantage

Marriage: Ethel LC Horsham 1913 / Quarter 4 / Epsom, Surrey / vol 2a p 48

1911 census: Ethel Louisa Horsham / Age 22 / Born 1889 / Lorrimore Street, St Mary Newington, London / Born New Maldon

In 1907 she was a housemaid at a house called Tintara, Heatherside Road, Ewell and is featured in a number of newspaper articles.

1901 census: Ethel L Horsham (Horshaw) / Age 14 / Born 1887 / Baring Street, Plymouth

1891 census: Ethel L Horsham / Age 3 / Born 1888 / North Street, Plymouth / Born Devon

Born 9 Dec 1887

Birth year 1888 / Quarter 1 / vol 5b p 248

The Ethel L Horsham from Plymouth has both names Louisa and Christina in her family tree.

I received the marriage certificate yesterday and this states her father was William (? HENRY) Horsham and that he was a postal worker. Photo of name attached.

Just wondering if the Ethel Louisa Horsham on the 1911 census was someone else born in New Malden. I don't think so (other evidence would suggest not) but would be grateful for a double check.

As ever many thanks
20190418_125338.jpeg
20190418_125338.jpeg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 808 times

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SarahDevs

Re: Do I have the same Ethel Louisa Christeen Horsham throug

Postby avaline » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 am

Hi Sarah

I would tend to agree that its all the same person.

The 1891 & 1901 census shows Ethel with her father William H, a postman, so the marriage in 1913 with the matching father’s details would certainly appear to be the same person.

I’m not convinced that the second initial on the 1939 Register is B, looking at the surrounding writing it looks more like a H to me (for Horsham perhaps?)

The 1911 was completed by George Bates so he possibly just assumed that wherever Ethel had arrived from was also where she was born.
avaline

Postby SarahDevs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks Avaline - I really do appreciate you taking the time to double-check. I have found quite a lot of records are transcribed incorrectly and those letters can make all the difference in a search! And an excellent point about George Bates - I'd assumed she was giving the wrong information but maybe nobody asked her.

Out of interest do you know what official records were required to get married? Her age on the marriage certificate would have her born 1890/91 when she was actually born in December 1887. This is what made me concerned I was looking at two different Ethels.

SarahDevs

Postby avaline » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:09 pm

You don't have to produce any official document to get married, so incorrect ages aren't that unusual.

I'm pretty sure the only exception is that you have to produce your divorce documents (decree absolute) before you can remarry.
avaline

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 pm

And ages on marriage certificates are notorious for unreliability generally. Ages might be increased to make someone over 21 (presumably not the case here) while brides might reduce their age if they were older than their husband. If the age difference is really big, then both parties might adjust their ages towards one another. No idea if any of those options apply here, but it might explain why many of us are not concerned by shifting ages.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:01 pm

And as a different aspect on marriage certificate data - beware of the father's name. More than a few are concoctions while the odd perfectly normal name may be omitted for reasons such as family disputes or in solidarity with the other partner who isn't revealing theirs.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SarahDevs » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:47 am

So marriage certificates aren't always the best source of information! In this case Ethel's year of birth stays within a 5-6 year range and the father's name and occupation are confirmed in the 1891 and 1901 census so I think I can be confident that I have the same person.

Thanks for all your help

SarahDevs

Return to General research queries