Moderator Control Panel ]

Can't find aWiltshire Marriage

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can't find aWiltshire Marriage

Postby gen2 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:56 am

My ancestor John Longe lived in Netheravon Wiltshire and his wife was Catherin/Katherine. Her surname was thought to be Bushell. A Katherine Bushell was baptized on the 21 Nov 1580 in Netheravon

John died in 1630 and his wife a year later on 7 May 1631.

I have searched both findmypast and ancestry for a marriage but cannot find anything.

Any suggestions would be most helpful

Thanks.

GEN2
gen2

Re: Can't find aWiltshire Marriage

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am

Not too sure when marriage was due to take place, but using a broad date range search on FamilySearch, for marriages in Wiltshire, I found a John Longe married Katherine Nicholas in 1 Aug 1621 in All Cannings, Wiltshire, which is just north of Netheravon.

(see:https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A0990180%20IT%203.
Mick Loney

Postby JaneyH » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi Mick, you may find it worth looking at the website Wiltshire Online Parish Clerks - https://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/ There’s a wealth of material there transcribed by volunteers. Coverage varies from parish to parish but you may get lucky. There’s also a Facebook group to support the site, so if you join and post a question about the availability of records, someone may be able to help.

They’re a friendly bunch, and on a random fun discussion I discovered I was talking to a 4th cousin!

Sent from my iPhone using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
JaneyH

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:43 pm

JaneyH,
Thanks for that, but it was Gen2 with the problem, not me :)
Mick Loney

Postby Martin_Barnes » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 am

Hi G2
There is a record of a marriage on the Wiltshire Family History Society Marriage Licence Bonds CD.
source Bishops' Marriage Bonds, Surname LONGE, Forename JOHN,Age 34, Occupation GENT, Abode MONKTON WILTS, Womans' surname NICHOLAS, Forename KATHERINE age 21, Abode ALL CANNINGS, Dau of EDWARD date of Marriage 31 JULY 1621.

G
Martin_Barnes

Return to General research queries