Moderator Control Panel ]

A house through time

From Heir Hunters to Wartime Farm, this is the place to discuss other genealogy and history programmes

A house through time

Postby woodchal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:23 pm

BBC2's A House Through Time series 2 starts today 8/4/19.

This series reviews the people who called Newcastle's 5 Ravensworth Terrace their home. If it is as good as series 1 set in Liverpool there will be much to interest a genealogist
woodchal

Re: A house through time

Postby phsvm » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm really enjoying this series.

I enjoyed the first series but the one thing I found slightly irritating then was that when the occupier of the house moved out nothing more was said about them. The makers seemed to have realised that maybe that wasn't a good idea because in this series follow the former occupiers after they left the house so that we're told what happened to them in later life. Some sad stories but definitely worth hearing. I'm not feeling at the end of each episode that I want to turn the computer on to trace the people as I did in the first series. We're told what their fates were.

This house, in Newcastle, has had some interesting residents with unusual stories. I'm finding in amazing that one house could have some many out-of-the-ordinary people associated with it.
phsvm

Re: A house through time

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Just seen the 2nd episode - it mentions the Crash of 1857 (which may have been in episode 1 as well?) - I checked on this and my own GG-GF, John Bruce of Dundee, was caught up in this when the Western Bank of Scotland collapsed. In his case, it was actually an impetus for something good. Until then he'd been in the linen (or jute) business in Dundee. Having lost all his money, he needed a source of income and, rather than return to textiles, it appears that John took the opportunity for a complete change of direction and later in 1858 decided to enter, as his obituary put it later, "the more congenial profession of an architect". It's not the most obvious change of direction but evidence later suggests to me that he may have had a talent or interest in drawing (even if his handwriting was appalling!).

I hadn't really appreciated how widespread the 1857 Crash was so this program was a fascinating (and personal) perspective for me.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Other TV and radio programmes