Moderator Control Panel ]

WW2 Army Records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW2 Army Records

Postby amcgrath49@hotmail.com » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Dad served in WW2 with the Cheshire Regiment (6th Battalion). I've tried all the sites but its as if he never existed army-wise. Even the Service Number, given to me by the Regiment, doesn't seem to exist. He went to North Africa, Italian Campaign, Yugoslavia and, finally, Palestine, before shipping home. We have photographic proof, as well. My plan is to apply for his Service Records but without the correct number they won't be able to help. Any idea? Perhaps National Archives?
amcgrath49@hotmail.com

Re: WW2 Army Records

Postby MaureenE » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:25 am

I doubt you will find records online.

For details of applying to the Ministry of Defence see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army, section
Army personnel serving after January 1921
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army#A ... nuary_1921

My understanding is that service number or date of birth is sufficient to locate records.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am

I agree with Maureen. For the benefit of anyone else reading - detailed papers for soldiers in the British Army after 1920 remain with the Ministry of Defence. Any references to such soldiers on websites are only from miscellaneous documents such as casualty reports, PoW lists, regimental magazines etc.

Sites do tend to try to make this clear (I hope) but if you're not up with the knowledge, it's easy to be misled by hope.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:33 pm

You can download the application forms for your father’s records from the Government website. Go to www.gov.uk. In the search box type ‘military service records’ and follow the links to what you need. All the instructions are on the forms. Not difficult. I’ve obtained army and naval records - they do cost £30 each search but well worth it for the information I have found in them.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby JDBG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:23 am

[quote=]Dad served in WW2 with the Cheshire Regiment (6th Battalion). I've tried all the sites but its as if he never existed army-wise. Even the Service Number, given to me by the Regiment, doesn't seem to exist. He went to North Africa, Italian Campaign, Yugoslavia and, finally, Palestine, before shipping home. We have photographic proof, as well. My plan is to apply for his Service Records but without the correct number they won't be able to help. Any idea? Perhaps National Archives?[/quote]

The service records for second world war military personnel are closed with the exception of access to the serviceman themselves or their next of kin. The later have a fee of £30 to pay. I ordered my Grandfather's by completing the form on the veterans site and sent proof of death for both my grandfather and mother. I also provided a copy of his pay book with his service number in case I had misread the number. I received his record within about 2 months.
I cannot provide the web address for the site as the forum thinks it is spam, but search Google for Veterans UK and then How to get service records.

You might though find Attestation records for Second World War servicemen on FMP and it might be worth looking at Forces War Records. I was surprised and delighted to see the Attestation paper for my Grandfather online when they were first released and it confirmed when he moved from the reserves list once he demobbed.

I hope this helps
JDBG

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:48 am

"The service records for second world war military personnel are closed with the exception of access to the serviceman themselves or their next of kin."
Sorry but this is not the case. As the link provided indirectly by the first reply will show, such records are partly open to all, provided a death certificate is supplied. (Unless you are the ex-serviceman of course).

The "partly" bit is important because full details will initially only be supplied to the ex-serviceman, or their next of kin, or someone who is authorized by the next of kin. This restriction continues until I think 18y after the death of the serviceman (or woman of course).

That does mean that the part records are available to anyone with the required DC up to 18y (or whatever) after the death, at which point the full information is available.

I am fairly certain that the conditions have changed over the years, so might once have been as restrictive as described above.

Sent from my Moto G6 Play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help