Moderator Control Panel ]

Help finding James Bland 3 x G.GFather - Garstang

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help finding James Bland 3 x G.GFather - Garstang

Postby SallyH » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Could anyone suggest where I may look for birth records for the above.

According to each census record from 1841, James is registered as being born around 1805, in Garstang. My research, if correct, shows that he married Mary Ann Robinson at Manchester Cathedral 22nd January 1827. His profession was that of Engraver for Calico Printer. James died on the 9th August 1876 aged 71.

However, as to date I haven’t been able to find a birth record for James. There is a record for a James Bland, widower, Garstang, who remarried in 1818, and I have wonder if this may have been James’ father, but of course have no way of knowing. There are one or two records showing for James Bland, one in Liverpool, one in Lancaster, and one in Manchester itself, but the family names just don’t seem to fit.

Census records show that James lived most of his life in Salford. However, I do know that there was a Calico printing company in Garstang around the time James would have been of working age. I realise that he could have moved to Garstang at a very early age, and therefore this may be the first place he could remember.

All his children were born in Manchester/Salford, that is except for one, Eleanor/Helena who is recorded as being born in Rosendale in 1833 which I’ve been told is the modern day Rossendale. I realise the family could have moved there for ‘work’, but it has crossed my mind if he had family in that area. Just a wild guess that one though. I haven't been able to find Eleanor's birth record either.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated – I’ve been looking for several years now.
SallyH

Re: Help finding James Bland 3 x G.GFather - Garstang

Postby woodchal » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:33 am

There is a baptism on family search

Name: James Bland
Christening Date: 23 Jun 1805
Christening Date (Original): 23 JUN 1805
Christening Place: CATHEDRAL,MANCHESTER,LANCASHIRE,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Isaac Bland
Mother's Name: Ann
woodchal

Postby sdup26 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:11 pm

A search for James in or around Garstang itself wasn't helpful, but widening the search brought up this: James Bland christened 3rd May 1807, St Mary, Lancaster, parents James and Margaret Bland.
Garstang is about 10 miles from Lancaster.
At the same church, there was a marriage between James Bland and Margaret Willice, 30th April 1798.
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:47 pm

Just in case James is related to Isaac Bland, there is a brief Death mention in the 13 Sept 1834 edition of the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser:

"On the 7th inst. suddenly, at Stafford, Mr. Isaac Bland, of Salford".

ON FMP, there is this Burial Index record for the above. There is also a Staffordshire Burials record with the image.

First name(s) Isaac
Last name Bland
Age 56
Birth year 1778
Death year 1834
Burial year 1834
Burial date 09 Sep 1834
Church St Mary
Denomination Anglican
Place Stafford
County Staffordshire
Country England
Record set National Burial Index For England & Wales
MoVidger

Postby ciderdrinker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:27 am

Hi
The Isaac Bland you found is a cotten spinner on his marriages in 1803 and 1830 at Manchester Cathedral.
James Bland's wife Betty was buried at Garstang 27 June 1816 age 39 years.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby SallyH » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

I have seen the record for Isaac, however, that family doesn't seem to tie in with their names.

The James I mentioned who remarried in 1818 one Alice Parker does appear to have been married as 'Ciderdrinker' says, to a Betty who did die in 1816 - I have wondered if this could have been James' mother. James' first child was called Elizabeth, but I dont know if Betty was a name in its own right at that time.

From what I can see, the Lancaster James appears to have stayed North, as there are census records which seem to fit.

It does appear that James was literate as he has signed his signature on several documents when many were putting a cross. He also comes across as being very proud of his occupation, even when at 65 years of age, and his profession was then Keeper of the Mangle, possibly failing eyesight, it seems as if he insisted on including prior to being Engraver. I also believe that he ran an advertisement in a Trades Directory in the 1840's. Wonder where he got his education - I guess we'll never know.

Anyway, thanks again for your help - If I ever find him, which I doubt, I will return to let you all know.

Sally
SallyH

Return to General research queries