Moderator Control Panel ]

Harry Nunn Trophy - HAC

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Harry Nunn Trophy - HAC

Postby Robbie J N » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:20 pm

About 15 years ago, the Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) had a different website to the one they have now, and on a page about their museum they had a photo of a 'Harry Nunn Trophy'. It depicted a man on a horse, if I remember correctly, and was wondering who he was. I had 2 relatives who were in the HAC with similar names, and was wondering if it was anything to do with either of them. I think the trophy may have originated around WW1, but who the man was may have been from an earlier time, I don't know.

My relatives:
Joshua Henry Nunn, born 1815, HAC member from the 1860s onwards. Reached at least the rank of Captain, won a shooting contest, whilst a Lieutenant, in August 1867 and had a portrait presented as a prize by its artist Private R St Leger Pigot. (Portrait is of Joshua.)
Robert Henry Nunn (son of Joshua), born 1842. Listed on British Army Lists on Ancestry as Lieutenant R H Nunn in 1882, and possibly got up to being a Major.

Given both men had the middle name 'Henry', maybe one of them was known as 'Harry'. This is possibly a bit of a stretch, but maybe someone can clarify who THE Harry Nunn, from the trophy, was and what they did in the HAC?

Thank you for any help you can provide with regard to this.
Robbie J N

Re: Harry Nunn Trophy - HAC

Postby phsvm » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:13 pm

If you think this could be of WW1 origin it may be worth posting on The Great War Forum. They have some amazingly knowledgeable members who know about some very obscure topics.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/
phsvm

Postby Robbie J N » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:15 pm

I am not sure when the trophy was created exactly, around WW1, but the man depicted in it and/or after who it was named, was for pre-WW1 events, I think.
I have looked throughout the current HAC website and the image is not there, unless someone has managed to find it. It could be available on some web-archive sites, like other army/navy/RAF web pages from 15 years ago, so if anyone has any links to any of those, I could confirm the info I have already given, or give a more accurate description.
I might try the Great War Forum if no other users on this site know anything. But hopefully they do.
Thanks for the tip.

Quick addition:
I just found a notice in the London Gazette, 17th September 1861, saying Joshua Henry Nunn was promoted from Serjeant to Ensign. He was probably in the HAC through the 1850s too.
Robbie J N

Postby MoVidger » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Robbie - not that this reply helps with your trophy photo question, but I wanted to ask if you have a FMP subscription. See below.
If you don't have a FMP sub, let me know. The 1-page image contains extra information which you might want for your records.

First name(s) Robt Henry
Last name Nunn
Birth year 1842
Attestation year 1863
Age 21
Residence town Paddington
Source 1848-1914 Admission Registers
Page number 2
Record set British Army, Honourable Artillery Company
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & Service Records

Also, Robert Henry was promoted to Major, according to another FMP record (Major is indicated in the image, with a Year of Admission date of 1863*) Another record indicates he was retired into the Veteran Company on 14 June 1890, with permission to retain his rank and wear his uniform.

First name(s) Robert Henry
Last name Nunn
Residence town London EC
Source 1915-1919 Membership Lists
Page number 185
Record set British Army, Honourable Artillery Company
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & Service Records
MoVidger

Postby Robbie J N » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:12 pm

From the London or Edinburgh Gazette:

Joshua Henry Nunn
Serjeant -> Ensign on 17-9-1861
Ensign -> Lieutenant on 4-8-1863
Lieutenant -> Captain on 19-10-1869

Robert Henry Nunn
Serjeant -> Ensign on 6-11-1875
2nd Lieutenant -> Lieutenant on 6-11-1880
Lieutenant -> Captain on 2-10-1886
Captain -> Major (honorary) on 12-4-1890

Ensign was re-titled as 2nd Lieutenant sometime between R H Nunn’s promotions in 1875 and 1880. (Wikipedia says it was 1871, but obviously not for the HAC!)

Unfortunately my FMP subscription expired last month, so I no longer have access. I do have access to Ancestry.
Thanks for the info.
Robbie J N

Postby MoVidger » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:18 pm

I can email the FMP image to you. Just send me your email address via a PM.
MoVidger

Postby Robbie J N » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 pm

I have just found the printouts from 8-2-2004 and there is a caption with the trophy:

One of the Harry Nunn memorial trophies commissioned by the Court after World War 1. The sculptor was L S Merrifield, who completed the work in 1928. It depicts a mounted artillery man who fought in the Middle Eastern campaign.

I don’t know if that helps at all with finding out who Harry Nunn was, but that’s all the information I have. I know there have been multiple Middle Eastern campaigns in the Army’s history, so which one this refers to, I don’t know.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quick addition:
For anyone interested, I found the date that the HAC changed the rank title from Ensign to 2nd Lieutenant - 19th June 1878.
Robbie J N

Return to Military help