Moderator Control Panel ]

Photo identification possibly Freemasons?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Postby rocanda » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Can anyone identify the outfit this man is wearing? The photo had pride of place over Grandad's fireplace but we never thought to ask who it was. It is possibly John Love a shoemaker born 1847 in Eye Northamptonshire and died in Aston, Warwickshire in 1905 but I'm not convinced he would have made it into the Freemasons. Thankyou.

Linda
Attachments
johnlove (2).jpg
johnlove (2).jpg (146.5 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
rocanda

Re: Photo identification possibly Freemasons?

Postby Mick Loney » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Doesn’t look like Freemason Regalia to me. There is a St John’s cross showing. Have you considered the Order of St John of Jerusalem?
Mick Loney

Postby MortimerCat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:44 pm

I immediately thought Knights Templar, but thats from my historic knowledge.

Try a google image search for "Masonic order of the Knights Templar", I think that is getting close. Note the double cross on the badges.
MortimerCat

Postby brunes08 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 pm

He has a badge attached to the sash. The cross in the centre looks rather like the Cross of Lorraine. A larger version appears to to be sewn onto the cloak covering his left arm. It is also seen on his headpiece. This style of cross is also known as the Patriarchal version of the Christian cross. Not sure what this might indicate though regarding the ‘order’ to which he might belong.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby devonliz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Actually he has three or four different Christian crosses in his regalia. The St John's cross (Malta) is the Knights Hospitaller of St John (see our St John's Ambulance Brigade) but I see that it has some connection with the Knights Templar. The 'double' crucifix is somehow not like the cross of Lorraine ... and that on his left shoulder is also different. It's a bit like the 'cross pattee' described on the Wikipedia page.

As far as I know, the usual British version of Freemasons is not overtly Christian, and the crucifix is not part of the regalia. Don't they have 'the eye of God' and a pyramid, dividers and masons' tools etc?
devonliz

Postby rocanda » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Thank you for your help everyone. There's lots of leads there for me to follow up.
rocanda

Postby genealogyman » Sat May 04, 2019 3:39 pm

The photograph submitted by rocanda appearing in the June 2019 issue of WDYTYA magazine shows a man wearing the regalia of an Eminent Preceptor of a Knight Templar. That is, he was currently (indicated by the baton in his right hand) the master or leader of a branch (known as a Preceptory) of “The United Religious, Military and Masonic Orders of the Temple and of St. John of Jerusalem, Palestine, Rhodes and Malta of England and Wales and its Provinces Overseas”. You can see why that mouthful is abbreviated to Knight Templar! This implies that he was a Freemason (a separate and older organisation) at the time some years earlier when he joined the KT order.
genealogyman

Postby Suedurham195 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi, my husband is a Freemason and says Knights Templar. He suggests you contact your local Provincial Masonic Head Office. Message me if you need more help!
Suedurham195

Postby Shirleycollins14 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:26 pm

The St John cross is that of a Knight of the order of St. John of Jérusalem. If you apply to the Order of St. John St. John Gate Clerkenwell London they might be able to help.

Good luck
Shirleycollins14

Return to Photo identification