Moderator Control Panel ]

George Newton Manchester and Burnley, Lancs.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

George Newton Manchester and Burnley, Lancs.

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:55 pm

George Newton (b. Manchester ca 1844, son of Jabez and Ann) died 9 Feb 1902 at the County Asylum, Whittingham, Lancs. of gangrene of the lung (sounds awful).
George lived in Burnley, married to my relative Jane Hibbert. On the death under rank/profession it says iron moulder of Workhouse, Burnley.
Two questions this raises for me: was George at Whittingham for a mental illness and died due to possibly septic pneumonia (my guess) or would they possibly have treated him there only for the lung issue?
My other question, would he possibly have gone to the Workhouse first for treatment and been transferred to the Asylum?
George and Jane were together in 1901 in Stoneyholme, Burnley. While they and their extended family were not wealthy, destitution would not likely be a reason for the workhouse.
Any suggestions appreciated.
DianaCanada

Re: George Newton Manchester and Burnley, Lancs.

Postby JMcK » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:07 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittingham_Hospital

This says a sanatorium was built in the grounds in 1884 for the treatment of infectious diseases, I should think gangrene of the lung might have qualified.

Pulmonary gangrene is a complication of bacterial pneumonia
JMcK

Postby ianbee » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:46 pm

UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912, on ancestry, gives the date of admission
Geo Newton, Whittingham, 3 Dec 1901

Would usually be via a poor law union.
What Jo has found about a sanatorium there is certainly interesting

George Newton buried at Burnley Cemetery, 13 Feb 1902. Transcribed on Lancs OPC, but image is available on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1017697

Looks like wife Jane in same grave

Grave book suggests a couple more burials in A5103
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 pm

That grave book gives the number of the fourth burial as 96726
Which must be that of Jane herself, but on the burial register she is quite clearly number 96720.

The other two
60380 is Dorothy Jane Baldwin, buried 10 March 1903, age 4 months (image 367 on the first film, which has George)
67573 is Edward Cooper, buried 12 April 1907, age 3 hours (image 631, ditto)

Unfortunately the Family Grave Register, book K, which I think is what we would need for 387 K has not been digitized yet.
ianbee

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Thank you both for your help, really appreciate it!
The Baldwin child and the Cooper child are almost certainly their grandchildren, as a daughter each married a Baldwin and a Cooper. Strangely, daughter Louisa who married Edward Cooper (Sr.) only claimed having had one child, one living on the 1911 census.
DianaCanada

Postby woodchal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:16 pm

Just checking which 1911 census you are looking at since I found a 1911 census, with Edward Cooper (41) Hotel Proprietor (Stork Hotel, Westgage Burnley), who married a Louisa (41) in 1901. There was one child alive Milly Louisa Cooper (5), but she does say 2 children in marriage one dead one alive.

Interestingly there is a niece Florrie Newton (17) and a Mrs Newton (69)
woodchal

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:34 pm

woodchal wrote:Just checking which 1911 census you are looking at since I found a 1911 census, with Edward Cooper (41) Hotel Proprietor (Stork Hotel, Westgage Burnley), who married a Louisa (41) in 1901. There was one child alive Milly Louisa Cooper (5), but she does say 2 children in marriage one dead one alive.

Interestingly there is a niece Florrie Newton (17) and a Mrs Newton (69)

Interesting - I have in my notes that she stated 1 born, 1 alive. Will check that again.
Yes, Florrie is a niece of Louisa's. Mrs Newton is my grandfather 's aunt, Jane Hibbert Newton, Louisa's mother.
DianaCanada

Postby DianaCanada » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Woodchai, eagle eye! You are right, Louisa had had two children. Thanks for letting me know!
DianaCanada

Postby Wiganjack » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:40 pm

I suspect your grandfather was suffering from Silicosis, a lung condition caused by inhaling the dust used in iron moulding factories. It was not until 1923 that this condition was fully investigated. See BMA Journals Vol 8 Issue 1, 1951 by C Fletcher. He would have had quite serious breathing problems, which would have affected his general health. He would also have been at risk from getting recurring chest/lung infections. I doubt very much he went to the Workhouse for treatment. Yes, he almost certainly was in Whittingham for mental health reasons. It was one of the leading mental health hospitals of its day. Why he ended his days in the Workhouse is very strange. You may be able to find more if you go to records of The Whittingham Hospital. They are held in the Lancashire Archives.
Wiganjack

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Wiganjack wrote:I suspect your grandfather was suffering from Silicosis, a lung condition caused by inhaling the dust used in iron moulding factories. It was not until 1923 that this condition was fully investigated. See BMA Journals Vol 8 Issue 1, 1951 by C Fletcher. He would have had quite serious breathing problems, which would have affected his general health. He would also have been at risk from getting recurring chest/lung infections. I doubt very much he went to the Workhouse for treatment. Yes, he almost certainly was in Whittingham for mental health reasons. It was one of the leading mental health hospitals of its day. Why he ended his days in the Workhouse is very strange. You may be able to find more if you go to records of The Whittingham Hospital. They are held in the Lancashire Archives.

Thank you for this added information, Wiganjack, both about silocosis and Whittingham.
George Newton was actually my grandfather's uncle by marriage, but my grandfather was also an iron moulder in Burnley and later in Canada. He did not seem to suffer any lung issues that I ever heard of, and died around age 80, I believe of a stroke.
I am sure a lot of people who lived in Britain in the past had breathing problems due to coal smoke.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries