Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert Bailey - missing death

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Robert Bailey - missing death

Postby Sharon.Rennie.25335 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:07 pm

I can trace my g grandad, Robert Bailey from his birth 19.04.1856 in Liverpool all the way through his two marriages, births of his 11 children right up until 1907 when he was working as a steward aboard SS Majestic between Southampton and New York. His wife is living at 33 Monfa Road, Orrell in Liverpool in 1911 census (Robert not listed on census return although wife's status is married - probably at sea??) and in Gore's Directory of same year he is listed at same address, occupation ship's steward.
His son, also called Robert, died in 1914 and in his death notice in newspaper his father is listed as "the late Robert Bailey". So, I have assumed that Robert senior died between 1911 and 1914 but I cannot find any record of his death. Any advice???? Thanks :)
Sharon.Rennie.25335

Re: Robert Bailey - missing death

Postby MoVidger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Sadly, there are June 1913 newspaper mentions for a Robert Bailey of Bootle, Liverpool, a bedroom steward with White Star liner "Olympic", falling from the Carlisle express whilst en-route for Southampton. A search party found the body on the tracks shortly afterwards.

According to the newspaper report(s), he fell from the train (while half-asleep) near the Leighton Buzzard station. He had joined the train at Crewe. His identity was established by his insurance card.

The articles are quite lengthy, so apologies for the brief mention here. If you have newspaper access on BNA or FMP, see the dates below for further details:

Luton Reporter 30 June 1913
Luton Times and Advertiser 27 June 1913
MoVidger

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:50 pm

Free BMD lists a Robert Bailey age 49, Jun Q, Leighton Buzzard.
DianaCanada

Postby Sharon.Rennie.25335 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Thank you!! That definitely sounds promising. I have access to both BNA and FMP so will head over there asap! Cannot believe how quickly I have received help on the forum, I've been stumped by this one for ages!!!
Sharon.Rennie.25335

Return to General research queries