Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing from 1911 census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Missing from 1911 census

Postby Vickytb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:03 pm

I am searching for my 3x great grandmother Jané Japp nee Stewart. She was born in Scotland in approximately 1837 and married a John Japp(Jaap) in 1862 in Manchester. I have her on all censuses from 1861 (living with John but not married) to 1901, always in Manchester, mainly Hulme area. I have her death certificate 1916 in Clopton st Hulme, she is in Clopton st but a different number on various censuses, but she is nowhere to be found in 1911! I had waited for the 1911 census to try to find where in Scotland she was born to find out about her life before she married. All I have for her family going backwards is marriage certificate lists father as James a game keeper, but I can’t find a James Stewart game keeper anywhere.
I would love some help finding her on 1911 census, or information about her family before her marriage to John Japp
Vickytb

Re: Missing from 1911 census

Postby MoVidger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:27 pm

On Find My Past, there are several records for a Jane Japp (born 1837, residence Hulme) in the Manchester Workhouse Registers 1800-1911. Two records for 1906, and one for 1900. Location is Manchester Withington Workhouse. Each year features the actual image. Could she have been in the workhouse again circa 1911?
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Is this husband John Japp in 1911 census?

Name: John Japp
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1911
Event Place: North Manchester, , Lancashire, England
County: Lancashire
Parish: North Manchester
Sub-District: Cheetham
Sub-District Number: 1
District Number: 467
Enumeration District: 34
Registration District: Prestwich
Marital Status: MARRIED
Marital Status: MARRIED
Institution: MANCHESTER WORKHOUSE
Birth Year (Estimated): 1838
Birthplace: Johnstone Resident, Renfrewshire
Relationship to Head of Household: Patient
Schedule Type: 9999
Page Number: 23
Registration Number: RG14
Piece/Folio: 29
MoVidger

Postby MoVidger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm

This 1834 birth below looks like a good possibility. This lady shares the same birth place as John Jaap (Johnston, Renfrewshire).

Also, the parents below appear in the 1861 Scottish census (Laugh Cartside Farm, Cartside Street, Abbey of Paisley, Johnston, Renfrewshire).

James Stewart is a farmer of 40 acres. His wife Margaret and children are from Johnston (like John Japp). Also, two of the sons are "Engine Smiths" (an occupation similar to John's father Matthew Jaap).

First name(s) Janet
Last name Stewart
Gender Female
Birth year 1834
Birth place Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland
Baptism year -
Baptism date -
Baptism place ABBEY (PAISLEY), RENFREW, SCOTLAND
Father's first name(s) James
Father's last name Stewart
Mother's first name(s) Margaret
Mother's last name Hall
Residence Eaglesham, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Place Abbey (Paisley)
County Renfrewshire
Country Scotland
MoVidger

Postby Vickytb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Yes mo that is her husband. She wasn’t with him in the 1901 census and listed herself as a widow when she wasn’t. He seems to have been in the workhouse for a long while, so I’m thinking he might have had some kind of illness! He didn’t die till 1930s.
That does look like a possible for Janes family. Her and John have a daughter baptised as Margaret, but she disappeared ( no sign on census and no death record. They seem to follow Scottish type naming with other children John, James, Mary, Matthew. Husbands parents were Matthew and Mary. They had 1 son Matthew die in Scotland, then had another son called Matthew
Vickytb

Postby Vickytb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 pm

In one census it says Jane is from Glasgow but that was a Manchester census and the enumerator May have guessed
Vickytb

Return to General research queries