Moderator Control Panel ]

Railway Photograph

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Railway Photograph

Postby Sara at The Family History Company » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Does anyone know the occasion on which this photograph was taken please? My Grandfather is on the back row in the flat cap, I think it was taken in Doncaster where he was a clerk, so it must be 1920s.Image

Sent from my iPad using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Sara at The Family History Company

Re: Railway Photograph

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm

To be honest, station staff photos seemed to be taken just because someone thought it was a good idea, rather than to commemorate anything in particular.

It's a jolly good photo though...

It would be nice if an LNER railway uniform expert (not me!) could identify the various uniforms.

And it does look like your GF is standing next to Robert Hardy in character as Siegfried Farnon judging by his hat! Well, it's all Yorkshire...

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sara at The Family History Company » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:To be honest, station staff photos seemed to be taken just because someone thought it was a good idea, rather than to commemorate anything in particular.

It's a jolly good photo though...

It would be nice if an LNER railway uniform expert (not me!) could identify the various uniforms.

And it does look like your GF is standing next to Robert Hardy in character as Siegfried Farnon judging by his hat! Well, it's all Yorkshire...

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Thanks Adrian, my brother thought it might have been taken because there was a change in regions in the 1920s, like you I think it’s a great photo!

Railway Photograph

Postby brunes08 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Is there a chance that the photograph was printed in a local newspaper? That might give a reason for the photograph. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Crikey - when will I learn not to look at photos on my phone? :(

Sara - your brother may be right. I read that, thought a bit and took another look at the photo - this time on my PC.

The London & North Eastern Railway was formed on 1 Jan 1923 from several companies - in the Doncaster area, the major constituent was the Great Northern Railway. Other lines there include the Great Central. When I looked at the photo on my PC, a number of the cap badges read "GNR". Other badges are more ornate and I can't work them out.

Poster boards visible include South Eastern & Chatham and Great Central - all pre-1923.

Now, it would have taken some time to alter uniforms and even longer to alter another company's poster board but the photo surely couldn't be dramatically far from 1923.

So apologies for looking at my phone and thinking that there was no more detail to be had, but that's my update - so, who knows, it might have been a "Farewell to the GNR" photo!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sara at The Family History Company » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:03 pm

brunes08 wrote:Is there a chance that the photograph was printed in a local newspaper? That might give a reason for the photograph. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Clever! Will have a check and see what comes up, thank you

Postby Sara at The Family History Company » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:08 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:Crikey - when will I learn not to look at photos on my phone? :(

Sara - your brother may be right. I read that, thought a bit and took another look at the photo - this time on my PC.

The London & North Eastern Railway was formed on 1 Jan 1923 from several companies - in the Doncaster area, the major constituent was the Great Northern Railway. Other lines there include the Great Central. When I looked at the photo on my PC, a number of the cap badges read "GNR". Other badges are more ornate and I can't work them out.

Poster boards visible include South Eastern & Chatham and Great Central - all pre-1923.

Now, it would have taken some time to alter uniforms and even longer to alter another company's poster board but the photo surely couldn't be dramatically far from 1923.

So apologies for looking at my phone and thinking that there was no more detail to be had, but that's my update - so, who knows, it might have been a "Farewell to the GNR" photo!
I’ve been looking at the photo forever but sadly my Gran didn’t know anything about it, she Married him in 1929 so it has to be before then, I just wish I knew more about it. Do you think it’s worth asking the York Museum lot?

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Sara at The Family History Company wrote:... Do you think it’s worth asking the York Museum lot?

They might be able to find someone who can identify those uniforms - if they all turn out to be GNR then it's a pretty good bet it'll be no later than 1923. If there's an LNER one in there, then it's 1923 or slightly later.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MoVidger » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:28 am

I'm wondering if the Pears soap advert(s) on the station building may actually date from 1915.

Getty Images has a vintage 1915 Pears b&w advertising illustration, which features soldiers on top of a double-decker bus. The Pears advert on the bus is identical to the station building advert in your photo, but without "The Soap of Kings" slogan.

Of course, there's always the chance the adverts in your photo had been in situ for several years.

The slogan in the b&w illustration begins "Pears' Soap and our soldiers typify the best British qualities, and the boys are delighted when a box of this famous Soap reaches them from home..."
MoVidger

Postby Sara at The Family History Company » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:
Sara at The Family History Company wrote:... Do you think it’s worth asking the York Museum lot?

They might be able to find someone who can identify those uniforms - if they all turn out to be GNR then it's a pretty good bet it'll be no later than 1923. If there's an LNER one in there, then it's 1923 or slightly later.
Many thanks, I’ll try them just in case someone knows

Next

Return to Photo identification