Moderator Control Panel ]

Which Robert Alexander is which?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Which Robert Alexander is which?

Postby travelbugs1993 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am

Hello everyone, I am hoping more eyes can help point me in the correct direction.

I have a 5x GGF by the name of Robert Alexander. His name is confirmed but it’s his DOB and therefore his parents and wife that are confusing me. The children only have Robert Alexander on the birth/baptism records on Scotland’s People.

Robert1 DOB is 4 April 1744 Baptism 12 April 1744 in East Kilbride, Lanark, Scotland. Father: Andrew. Wife: Jean Aitken (I have found a marriage for a Robert and Jean on Scotland’s People. Most ancestry trees have this Robert as “my” Robert married to Jean on 26 June 1764 in Carmunnock, Lanark, Scotland, not far from East Kilbride)

Robert2 DOB is 15 March 1742 Baptism 23 March 1742 in East Kilbride, Lanark, Scotland. Father: David. (I have also found a marriage for a Robert and Mary Cummin on Scotland’s People. There are no Ancestry trees with these two. Married on 27 April 1768 in Carmunnock, Lanark, Scotland)

To complicate things my 4 x GGM Betty (Robert’s daughter) was born 1765 in Carmunnock (this is known). So it seems Jean should be her mother going by marriage date, however which Robert is her father?

Also is the other marriage for the second Robert or a second marriage for Robert/Jean as there is gap of 3 years between the 2nd and 3rd children. Do the children belong to one or both Roberts?

My head hurts! Thank you all in advance.
travelbugs1993

Re: Which Robert Alexander is which?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:24 am

Taking things a step at a time, I would certainly agree, with the concentration in Scotland on highlighting illegitimacy, that your ancestral marriage is Robert Alexander to Jean Aitken in 1764. Which leaves the questions - which baptism is that Robert? And - are there really 2 Roberts reaching adulthood and marrying? Or did the first wife die?

I take it that there are no death or burial records?

Have you examined all the baptisms in ScotlandsPeople to Robert Alexander in that parish in that era to establish whether there are any baptisms so close together as to make it clear that they could not be from the same family? And that none have any indication about the mother? Or where the families live or father's occupation to distinguish between them.

Hmm - a pain - whenever I've had to tackle similar issues, I've always had the benefit of burial records....

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby travelbugs1993 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for this. When I last looked there were no death/burial records for either wife.

I will have another look. I am in a better position now to also purchase a few records so hopefully I can find something.

I was unable to find a will for a Robert Alexander either.

The children’s baptisms all seemed to be in a line with no mention of a mother.

Thanks again.
travelbugs1993

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:48 pm

travelbugs1993 wrote:... When I last looked there were no death/burial records for either wife ....

Very few Scottish parishes have any records of deaths or burials. A few have them for a short period until the enthusiasm wore off. I think also that many of the records for burials are actually for the hire of the mortcloth used to drape over the coffin, so probably miss lots of burials. As I recollect, ScotlandsPeople has a list of stuff that exists for each parish, so check those lists, and it may also help to check the Statistical Accounts (found in several places) because sometimes they record what records were kept.

To emphasise what I suspect you know - it's crucial to squeeze all the clues out that you can, and that will need the expenditure of cash to see the actual entries, I'm afraid.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:21 pm

I have only looked at FamilySearch, not ScotlandsPeople, but I looked for Alexander births & baptisms in the range 1740-1800 to Robert Alexander in Lanarkshire, then trimmed down to Carmunnock and East Kilbride - because I got the impression that they were close???

At a swift look that could be wrong, there are two such 1771 baptisms in Carmunnock - James (born 13 Jan 1771) and Margaret (born 2 June 1771) - thank goodness the birth dates are present. So that's a clear indication that there are 2 separate Robert Alexander families in Carmunnock at the same time.

There are also two in 1769 - both called Agness (!) and with different birth dates - so two families at least from then. Again, no clue in FamilySearch which was which - it would be really, really nice if the clerk had made some note in the actual register!!

NB for anyone following - FamilySearch has Bethiah for the 1765 baptism - no idea if that's an accurate transcript or not.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 pm

I had a similar problem with two roberts.I eventually found that two brothers,a Robert and a Thomas
both had a son in the same year, in the same village and both called him Robert.So they were cousins.
No wonder I'm grey. :D
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby travelbugs1993 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks Adrian!

That family search info must be new. I will look into for sure.

Yes the places are very close together, which of course adds to the confusion.

I’ll check that other info on Scotland’s People.

Really appreciate the help.
travelbugs1993

Postby travelbugs1993 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Amazinggrace wrote:I had a similar problem with two roberts.I eventually found that two brothers,a Robert and a Thomas
both had a son in the same year, in the same village and both called him Robert.So they were cousins.
No wonder I'm grey. :D
Grace

Hi Grace,

I am wondering if this is the case here as well. And with the Scottish naming traditions we don’t stand much of a chance of finding who’s attached who! :)
travelbugs1993

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:38 am

Yes, I always say that you don't use naming patterns to prove genealogy, you use genealogy to prove naming patterns.

As I recollect, the third son of a third son is always supposed to have the same name as his eldest brother in the pattern. Whether that happened probably depended on the individuals.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby travelbugs1993 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:03 am

[quote="AdrianB38"]Yes, I always say that you don't use naming patterns to prove genealogy, you use genealogy to prove naming patterns.

As I recollect, the third son of a third son is always supposed to have the same name as his eldest brother in the pattern. Whether that happened probably depended on the individuals.

And how many children they had!
travelbugs1993

Next

Return to General research queries