Moderator Control Panel ]

Topic heading

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Topic heading

Postby SarahU » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm

My research involves many areas of many countries and hundreds of surnames so l simply do not have time to open every vague topic on every forum. You may indeed have the answer to one of my loose ends or l may be of help with your’s. However, if the surname is not in the heading, l and many other members will not open it - unless it does not relate to a specific surname and is a general enquiry, Trying not to be too critical, really want to help other members with their dead ends, so help others help you by putting the surname in the heading.
SarahU

Re: Topic heading

Postby devonliz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Try typing a surname into the 'Search this forum' box at the top of General Research Queries section - this will bring up all the entries that have that name within the text, not just those with the name in the heading.
I have just tried it with 'Newman', for example!
devonliz

Postby SarahU » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Thank you, devonliz, for reminding me to “keep it simple” - l do tend to overcomplicate it sometimes.
SarahU

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 pm

SarahU,
I too tend to skip those with vague topics. Although one can search as Devonliz says, I think that’s too much effort if it’s only to help someone with their research.
I tend to quickly browse topics ( 2 or 3 times a day), and if I don’t see anything I think I can help with, I leave the forum.

So, if you need help, help us help you by putting something meaningful in the topic header. :D

Sorry, but Help with a Brick Wall doesn’t cut it for me.
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries