Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick Wall - Harry KING

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick Wall - Harry KING

Postby bingoking » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 am

I have hit a brick wall searching for the birth of my Great Uncle, Harry KING. There is no record of his birth on GRO searching 5 years either side of 1895 and searching with or without his mother’s maiden name STENHOUSE and all derivatives/alternatives of the name Harry. As his mother was Scottish, I have also searched Scotlands People in case she returned to Scotland to have the baby.

I have been able to trace all 5 of his siblings on GRO using his mother’s maiden name.

I have Harry in the 1901 England Census in Rotherhithe where his age is shown as 6 years making his year of birth about 1895 and birth place St Olave, London. Others in the household on census night were my Gt Grandfather Edward John KING (Head), Mary KING (wife), Eliza KING, E KING and Mary’s brother David STENHOUSE (misspelt on the census). E KING aged 2 was registered Harold Edward King.

Harry’s father Edward John died in 1902 and Mary moved the family back to Scotland where she remarried in 1907.

Harry appears in the Scottish Census of 1911 in Dysart, Kirkcaldy, Fife along with Mary, her new Husband John DICK plus 4 of their children from that marriage, and surviving children from her marriage to Edward John, Charles KING (21), Harry KING (16) Harold Edward KING (12) and my grandfather John George KING (10).

Harry served in the 1st Battalion Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) as a Private (Service No. 2629) embarking on 9th November 1914 until his death in the Somme on 25th September 1916. I have his medals. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

I have also have the following:

· British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Card in the name of Henry KING

· UK Army Registers of Soldiers Effects in the name of Harry KING

· UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War in the name of Harry KING

· UK, WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls in the name of H KING

· UK, WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls in the name of Henry KING

I cannot find his army joining papers so I suspect they were lost during the bombing in WW2, but not sure if they would have his date of birth.

His father Edward John KING was in the Navy and I am left wondering if Harry was the product of liaison between Mary and A.N.Other or if Edward had a liaison with another woman and Harry was the product of either liaison and taken into the family. There is a clear family resemblance between Harry and members of my family which would imply that either Mary or Edward were Harry's biological parents or perhaps a child of one of their siblings and then looked after by Mary and Edward.

I am in London for a few days in April and I plan to visit the registry office in Southwark to see if I can find anything there.

I have no idea what else to do and open to suggestions.
bingoking

Re: Brick Wall - Harry KING

Postby avaline » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:08 pm

The 1901 census has Harry as the eldest child. When & where did Edward John King marry Mary Stenhouse?
avaline

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:43 pm

It'll be a long task without the mother's maiden name, but have you tried FreeBMD?

The new GRO Index does have its problems - for all the issues they fixed compared to the old paper indexes, they also added new ones, especially when they couldn't read one surname or the other.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sdup26 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:07 pm

I can't find a Harry (or variant) birth on the GRO site, with a mother maiden name Stenhouse. I used freebmd to look for possible Harrys, then GRO for mother's maiden name. There's Henry King, St Olave 1894, mmn Basham, Henry James King, St Olave 1895, mmn Barker, Harold King, St Olave 1896, mmn Feast. It does seem a bit odd that having already had a son called Harry, they should then name another son Harold Edward.
sdup26

Postby MayHam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 pm

According to ScotlandsPeople, Edward John married Mary in Canongate in 1887.
They also have a will for Harry.
MayHam

Postby bingoking » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks to everyone for the help so far.
Yes, Edward and Mary were married in Edinburgh Nov 1887, their first born was Elizabeth Martha b. Oct 1888 d1891. They had another girl that they named Elizabeth Martha b.1896 d.1902 She died one month before her father. No one in our family knew about these girls until I started tracing our family tree and sadly after my grandfather died. I believe it was quite common then to re-use the name of a deceased child. Naming a child Harold whilst still having a child named Harry seems a bit strange.
I do have Harry’s will and the interesting thing from that is that he signed his name as Harry S. King and that and a signature on the back of a photograph of Harry and Charles “somewhere in France” taken in May 1916 are the only references to a possible middle name. The S might just be a way of distinguishing his signature from someone else but could be Stenhouse, his mother’s maiden name or Shirley his grandmother’s maiden name. I have searched most of the online websites and as well as using mmn Stenhouse I have also searched using Shirley. I have also collected a few birth certificates when I thought I was close but wrong Harry/Henry.
The search goes on.
bingoking

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 am

Have you considered he was registered without a name i.e.Male
Try GRO with just surname, you never know :D
Mick Loney

Postby sdup26 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm

I've tried just the surname King, and also just surname Stenhouse, and also with Harold alone, then with Harold second name Stenhouse, tried with and without mother's maiden name, and two years either side of 1895....
sdup26

Postby sdup26 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm

You've probably seen this, but in case not:
25th August 1902, Salters Hill School, admission of Harry King, born 25th November 1894, mother Mary, address 127 Gipsy Road, Lambeth.
sdup26

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Of course, it could be that he was never registered at all. My own grandfather is just such a case. Despite finding his siblings registered, he is not there, or more correctly, his entry never made it to the central GRO index. (Have you considered approaching local register office?)

I’m lucky in that I knew my grandfather well, and was fortunate enough to have met his father, my GreatGrandfather, who died when I was 18! Shame I wasn’t into genealogy back then :D , as I’d dearly love to know more about his own Grandfather, who was born around 1802 and is one of my brickwalls.
Mick Loney

Next

Return to General research queries