Moderator Control Panel ]

Winifred Ethel Lambert - The Clewer Sisters (Order of St Joh

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Winifred Ethel Lambert - The Clewer Sisters (Order of St

Postby ianbee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Sarah
I do agree that, potentially, the Ethel Horsham registered in Southwark in 1911 could tick a lot of boxes. If we knew that the Ethel Louisa with the Bates couple was her mother it would help, I guess.
Do let us know how you get on with it all.
Good luck!
Ian
ianbee

Postby sillitm1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Hello,
I have an ancestor who was in a Clewer Sisters Home in Devon, but many years earlier in 1871. I can't help with your individual query, but I have an article about The Clewer Sisters published in Family Tree Magazine in 2007 which might be of interest. There are records at Berkshire Records Office in Reading, but unfortunately there are no Admissions Registers - it seems these must have been lost or destroyed. I have attached the article (hopefully) - it's 3 separate pages.
Attachments
Devon House Article P3.jpg
Devon House Article P3.jpg (939.79 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Devon House Article P2.jpg
Devon House Article P2.jpg (896.91 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Devon House Article P1 (re  Martha Froude 1871).jpg
Devon House Article P1 (re Martha Froude 1871).jpg (774.25 KiB) Viewed 600 times
sillitm1

Postby SarahDevs » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 am

Thank you - that's really interesting and I spy a link at the end which may be useful!

From the scant information I have it seems the Clewer Sisters started with 'fallen women' and then branched out into homes exclusively for neglected and abused children. I'm from Gloucester and interestingly we had a Clewer House here (which is still within living memory for some of my parent's generation). Nan lived in one in Newport (Wales) which had since been converted into flats (Clewer Court).

As a post script - and an antidote to all the troubling tales of all sorts of abuse within religious sectors - Nan always described the nuns as very kind. When she left them in the 1930s to go into service they let her take the home parrot with her (yep - very random) and she became a much-loved family pet for my father and his siblings.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SarahDevs

Postby DebbieBB » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi Sarah,
I can speak to the positive aspect of DNA matching. I was recently able to help a half-sibling confirm the identity of her biological father after good fortune with cousin matching that enabled me to find common ancestors and then work forward again. It still required lots of painstaking research to support the DNA results but it can be very worthwhile.

I have also been able to confirm family lines in my own ancestry.

As your other poster said, yes a note of caution in that you can get unexpected results, but also a lot of positives to weigh in the balance.
DebbieBB

Postby SarahDevs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Thank you DebbieDD - but DNA is now longer necessary as I have FOUND her!

Thank you ianbee and all contributors - I could kiss you all! Turns out I was on the right scent but ianbee finding the marriage details and the 1911 census information meant I could join up the dots.

My eagerly awaited GRO certificates arrived this morning and I haven't felt that nervous opening an envelope in a long time! The certificates confirm that Nan was in fact Ethel Winifred Horsham and her mother is likely to be the same Ethel Horsham in the Sussex papers in 1907. Still so much to investigate but at least I have some more information to go on.

It's been quite emotional - my Nan died when I was 21 but it still means so much to find out the backstory behind what we already knew.

Now to find the link to Lambert (if any) and research Ethel Louisa Christine Wilde nee Horsham - my newly discovered Great Grandmother...

Thanks again everyone

Sent from my SM-G950F using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
SarahDevs

Previous

Return to General research queries