Moderator Control Panel ]

William Werrey

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Werrey

Postby peterbottrell » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:39 pm

May I ask for some assistance, please?
William Werrey (or Werry) was christened 12 Apr 1726 in Duloe, Cornwall, son of Thomas Werry and Agnes Bowman nee Bradlicke.

I have a certified copy of a parish register entry from St Blazey, showing the marriage of a William Werrey to Ann Couch on 5 Nov 1752. Ann Couch was born in St Blazey, and died (apparently in childbirth) in Sep 1776 and was buried in St Austell.

Can any kind soul suggest just how I can prove the two named men above are one and the same individual?

Thank you,
Peter
peterbottrell

Re: William Werrey

Postby MoVidger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi Peter -- on FreeReg there is a 1729 baptism for another William Werrey:

County Cornwall
Place Duloe
Church name St Cubys
Register type Transcript
Baptism date 02 Nov 1729
Person forename William
Person sex M
Father forename John
Mother forename Catharine
Father surname WERREY
MoVidger

William Werrey

Postby brunes08 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Werrey/Werry is a common surname in the parishes you mention plus many other parishes in Cornwall. So too is the forename of William. There are also many infants baptised with the same name during the period 1720 to 1730. So it seems it is going to be difficult for you to prove they are one and the same person. Having said that, Duloe to St Blazey is, as the crow flies, about 10 miles so it doesn’t mean he didn’t move there perhaps for work in the many mines in the area.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Re: William Werrey

Postby Artognou » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Hi,

I have an active sub with Cornwall FHS and I have found another potential baptism, slightly closer to St Blazey;

WERRY William - Son M - WERRY William - ___ Elizabeth - Fowey 12 Mar 1728
Artognou

Return to General research queries