Moderator Control Panel ]

Who did William Potter Marry?[Solved]

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Who did William Potter Marry?[Solved]

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:16 pm

According to image on FMP, William Potter married Elizabeth C on 5 May 1790 in Liverpool, Toxteth, St James.

I'm not sure if image is from Parish Register or Bishops Transcript, but the right hand side of the image is badly damaged and Elizabeth's Surname is indecipherable.

Any chance someone can do a lookup on the actual document, to see if it is legible, or failing that, can they check the alternative (PR or BT) to see if surname is legible there, as It doesn't appear to be on-line.

Thanks in anticipation

CORRECTION Tried again and would you believe it, FMP also has PR and surname shown as Cartwright. (Why didn't this come up before? FMP and family Search all show Elizabeth C!!!!! - aaargh)
Mick Loney

Re: Who did William Potter Marry?[Solved]

Postby sdup26 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Lancashire Online Parish Clerk site also has William Potter marrying Elizabeth C, so you did well to spot the FMP entry, rather than giving up. As you found, her surname is clear in the Liverpool parish register, so it's a reminder to all of us to check every possible source when searching.
sdup26

Re: Who did William Potter Marry?[Solved]

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Yes, I’ve had Elizabeth C for quite a while now, and was revisiting my brick walls (pays to do it every so often, as new things are appearing on-line every day).

When I still found her surname missing, I posted the query.

It was only when I did a final double-check two minutes later, that the entry on FMP popped out. Spooky or what!

The trouble with clearing a brick wall, one finds even more behind it! My recent attacks have found quite a few of my outstanding brickwalls, but yet the total is still increasing - ho hum.

Anyone who thinks genealogy is a finite exercise is sadly deluded :D
Mick Loney

Return to General research queries