Moderator Control Panel ]

Devon/Dorset/Somerset baptisms

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Devon/Dorset/Somerset baptisms

Postby DarrenP » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:29 am

Hello,
I recently had some great assistance with a brickwall I had encountered. With that help, I have managed to trace this family with the help of a friend.
We are stuck though on baptisms for two women, probably sisters. William Palmer married, as his second wife, Ann Whitlock in 1743 in Luppitt Devon. In the same parish and year, Mary Whitlock married Richard Harwood or Harward. Both parties of both marriages are described as Mr and Mrs, although I am confident the two girls are spinsters.
Can anyone help find baptisms for Ann and Mary please?
DarrenP

Re: Devon/Dorset/Somerset baptisms

Postby meekhcs » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:49 am

A great free resource for Dorset is www.dorsetopc.org.
I have no knowledge for Somerset and Devon but I suspect if you google "Online parish records Devon"and likewise Somerset you will find free data.

Another great free resource is www.familysearch.org which is the site maintained by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. On there you can access records for individual counties or just carry out a general name seach with a range of dates,counties etc. It is fairly easy to navigate. You have to register with the site to use it but it is completely free.
meekhcs

Postby sdup26 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:29 am

I can see the marriages online in the Luppitt Parish Registers (http://www.dustydocs.com) - William Palmer to Ann Whitlock on 26/10/1743 and Richard Harwood to Mary Whitlock 26/12/1743. But I can't find any Whitlock/Whitelock births or baptisms in Luppitt.
sdup26

Postby mbford222 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:28 pm

There is a Whitlock surname project run by Peter Whitlock at www.whitlockfamilyassociation.com
Peter has been very helpful to me in the past and I'm sure he would welcome new information to add to his abundant knowledge.
Margaret in Ottawa
mbford222

Postby DarrenP » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:32 am

Thanks for all of your replies and advice.
Meekhcs, I know of both of those fantastic resources and make good use of them already.
Sdup26, the Luppitt records are online on another site I found by googling Luppitt parish registers. There is only one other Whitlock entry at all, and that was for a burial of a Hannah Whitlock in 1765. I am leaning towards the fact they probably moved there for a brief time at least.
Mbford222, I have already been in touch with Peter Whitlock. While he has supplied some information on Mary's descendants I didn't have, he doesn't know anything else about the Luppitt Whitlock's.
DarrenP

Return to General research queries