Moderator Control Panel ]

William Shearman - Cambridge

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: William Shearman - Cambridge

Postby sdup26 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 am

The baptism record for Jane Frances Shearman (1819 -1907) in Milton, Cambs, August 1842, has a note at the side that says "born July 27th 1819." This names her mother as Frances, but the occupation of her father, William Shearman, is listed as 'servant.'
sdup26

Postby Robbie J N » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 am

I did notice that the father’s profession did not match what is known of William Shearman, a plasterer. I took it to mean that since she was an adult at the time, it was referring to her occupation, rather than her father’s, but that is merely just a guess. Jane was a servant in several of the census descriptions throughout her life, although in 1841 she was described as a ‘cook’.

I did not notice the exact date of her birth before, so wondered how my 3rd cousin knew that date, as it was listed on their family tree. Now I know, thanks.
Robbie J N

Postby sdup26 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 am

You could be right about 'servant' being related to Jane Frances. The other entries have father's occupation, butcher, labourer and so on, but as she was being baptised as an adult, it could refer to her. Keep an open mind, just in case.
sdup26

Postby Robbie J N » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello again.
In response to comparing the signatures idea - Is the 1835 handwritten record on Ancestry, as I’ve not been able to find it there? Luckily I did find it, and save it, on Find My Past.
What I’ve done is order the 1860 marriage record for William Shearman and Sarah Gilby, which is definitely the right William Shearman, given the 2 witnesses were his daughter and son-in-law, if I remember correctly. An added bonus - It should state who his father was. Some relatives have that name as James Shearman. The only thing is - How much can a signature change between the ages of ~42 and ~67?
I will update when the certificate arrives next week.
Robbie J N

Postby Robbie J N » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 am

The marriage certificate arrived today and unfortunately the whole form is filled out in the same handwriting. Other forms I have received were not like this, and had the bride and groom's actual handwriting, or at least different handwriting in the 'Name and Surname' part compared to the 'This Marriage was solemnized between us' part. At least I can confirm William's father's name was James and that he was a painter by profession. (I'm guessing that's decorating, not an artist.)

I don't really know where to go from here. I could try the CFHS and ask if they could send a copy of an original church record, but they probably wouldn't because they would already be available on their site if they did things like that.

Any ideas?
Robbie J N

Postby sdup26 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:31 am

As the old saying goes, if you don't ask, you don't get! Try CFHS, but failing that, have you considered employing a local (Cambridge) family history researcher, who will know about local archives, to do some photocopying for you?
sdup26

Previous

Return to General research queries